Minimum gap for building between garden walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I want to build a new garden wall on the rear of my land to improve privacy and to prevent my dog wandering. My neighbour already has a wall which looks like it is built on the boundary line. I have approached them to heighten the existing wall but they have refused (long story!). Can I build a new one on my side of the boundary? If so how high can it be and more importantly what is the minimum distance of gap from their wall can I build mine? Relationships between us are poor!
Thanks for any advice in advance

Sponsored Links
Check your deeds regards height but i do believe there is a maximum of six foot.

Build as close as you dare without damaging the foundations. As the wall is built upon the boundary line all land this side of the wall is yours. This does not automatically give you the right to damage the existing wall but you may build as close as you like.

But, if the wall belongs to the neighbour and is built entirely upon his land then be careful.

I am not sure about maintenance accessibility, but i guess if your new wall butts up against the existing then this negates the need for maintenance on your side.

Thx for the reply,this is good news. Does anyone know if I have to leave a gap for maintenence and if so any dimensions for this. Thanks again in advance for any advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back