Minimum head on Keston Celsius 25

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Keston Celsius 25 Boiler for my central heating system on the assumption that it was pretty versatile. I intended to install it in the airing cupboard with the hot water cylinder. However I've just noticed that the installation manual states that for open vented systems the minimum static head required is 9 ft at the top of the boiler. ie the F&E tank has to be 9ft above the top of the boiler. Can this be right? The manual states that the boiler can be located virtually anywhere desired but with a minimum 9ft head this almost means that it has to be installed on the ground floor. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
my first suggestion would be to throw away the keston....they are awful boilers.

if you do fit it i would stick to their manual as it will hopefully take longer to go wrong if you do.

It's a bit worse than what you say. Minimum head is actually stated as 3.0M about 10ft :eek:

If you haven't room to accomodate this I would suggest you add the sealed system kit and fit it where you like then ;)

nickso said:
my first suggestion would be to throw away the keston....they are awful boilers.
Why do you say that? I install them quite often due to the flexibility and low cost of the flue system. It wouldn't normally be my first choice , but I've not had too many problems.

Sponsored Links
Chris, went to a keston the other week, 25 or 36 heat only, can't remember now, but how on earth do you get to the bolts that hold the fan down at the back for servicing?

gas4you said:
Chris, went to a keston the other week, 25 or 36 heat only, can't remember now, but how on earth do you get to the bolts that hold the fan down at the back for servicing?

A long socket:)

I like kestons

My problem was that the fan assembly was 'hiding' one of the bolts so I couldn't get anything on to it at all. Couldn't work it out at all :oops:

Ive worked on a few of the C25s. Poxy boiler and you can't get the case off when its hot.. :rolleyes:

rob884 said:
Ive worked on a few of the C25s. Poxy boiler and you can't get the case off when its hot.. :rolleyes:

You might want to think again about installing it! If you want a quality open vent boiler, then go for the Vitodens 100 compact. I don't think they specify such a large head height on the f/e.

rob884 said:

have you had one yet where the outlet has leaked and the case i srusted together

:)

corgiman said:
rob884 said:

have you had one yet where the outlet has leaked and the case i srusted together

:)
Which outlet? Flue, pump, flow or all of the above. I too have seen the rusty case on the inside after a flue leak. Very bad :(

chrishutt said:
nickso said:
Why do you say that? I install them quite often due to the flexibility and low cost of the flue system. It wouldn't normally be my first choice , but I've not had too many problems.

as some others have mentioned....leaks. the flue leaks if left long enough, both inside and outside the case rusting it together. the case design itself is simply childlike in its stupidity.

crap pcbs, cheapo components , everything seems to be held together by luck rather than design. the whole boiler looks like its been designed and built in some guys garage.

id rather leave the customer some logs and matches than install a keston.

nickso said:
....leaks. the flue leaks if left long enough, both inside and outside the case rusting it together. the case design itself is simply childlike in its stupidity. rubbish pcbs, cheapo components , everything seems to be held together by luck rather than design. the whole boiler looks like its been designed and built in some guys garage.
OK nickso, I take your point. I've come across some of those faults too. But which condensing boiler is perfect? Vaillants suffer from condensate leakage, WBs have heat exchanger and servicing problems, etc. My view is that any condensing boiler needs regular maintenance to nip such problems in the bud.

chrishutt said:
nickso said:
....leaks. the flue leaks if left long enough, both inside and outside the case rusting it together. the case design itself is simply childlike in its stupidity. rubbish pcbs, cheapo components , everything seems to be held together by luck rather than design. the whole boiler looks like its been designed and built in some guys garage.
OK nickso, I take your point. I've come across some of those faults too. But which condensing boiler is perfect? Vaillants suffer from condensate leakage, WBs have heat exchanger and servicing problems, etc. My view is that any condensing boiler needs regular maintenance to nip such problems in the bud.

yes you are right....none of them are perfect.

kestons give me far more grief than a quality boiler does though. they just dont seem as robust as the better boilers and have a very poor feel of quality to them.

id rather have WB or vaillants worst effort over a keston any day.

i understand what you are saying about the twin flue being handy for certain installs, but they must be in the minority.

Kestons are so crap that Ideal bought them. Probably the only boilers that are worse than theirs :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back