minimum pipe depth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He everyone.

Whats the minimum pipe depth under a floorboard?

If i have a RSJ in the way can you notch the floorboards out and lay the floorboards on to the pipe? Or should you drill holes in the rsj or maybe take a different direction?

Whats the regs on this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
hi and thanks for the pdf you posted.

I dont fully understand it but i think it refers only to what percentage of joist you can notch out ?

Im trying to find out if its ok to notch out a floorboard. So in other words lets say im running pipes / wires etc over the top of a joist / RSJ. I would need to notch out the back of the floorboards. Is it o.k to notch out the floorboards rather than the joists?

If i was to notch out the floorboards and say a carpet fitter put his gripper down and hit the pipe below (where i notched the floorboard) would i or the carpet fitter be to blame?

Don't cut the floor boards.

Notch/drill the joists if you can do it iaw the guidance, or raise the floor? or run the pipes above floor?

If you notch a joist it would be sensible to identify that there is a pipe or cable below the floorboard there...

Sponsored Links
is it a reg to not notch a floorboard? Or just good practice not to ?

If i have already notched the floorboards and another trade has hit a pipe
then am i responsible?

is it a reg to not notch a floorboard? Or just good practice not to ?

I'm not aware of a reg concerning this, possibly because no one would imagine that a floor board would be cut in this way!
It would certainly be good practice to NOT notch a board

If i have already notched the floorboards and another trade has hit a pipe then am i responsible?

You shouldn't have done it. He should have confirmed he was clear of hidden services. Where does that leave you?

Again thanks for the reply.

UMMMM, so there is no reg saying that a pipe should be a certain depth or not to notch out a floorboard?

So if there is no reg then if someone was to notch a floorboard then how can i be to blame? There is nothing to tell me it is incorrect !

While we are talking of pipe depth. How deep under a concrete floor should a gas pipe be buried? in fact, how deep does any pipe have to be?

UMMMM, so there is no reg saying that a pipe should be a certain depth or not to notch out a floorboard?

So if there is no reg then if someone was to notch a floorboard then how can i be to blame? There is nothing to tell me it is incorrect !

Ignorance woud be no excuse. If you had to do this then wouldn't you put protection over the area and identify that there were services under? (at least). By the sound of it you have done this and something has been damaged - I'd say that was at least largely your fault.

While we are talking of pipe depth. How deep under a concrete floor should a gas pipe be buried? in fact, how deep does any pipe have to be?

All pipes should be sleeved/ducted and at minimum 25mm depth.

thanks for the replies.

I have not done this personally but seems very common with a lot of floor layers hitting pipes when using gripper that is pre-nailed to the correct BS standard for floor-coverings.

I run a floor-coverings training centre and we often gets calls regarding the above. Im trying to find out how it is looked on as a plumbers point of view and was hoping that the BS you work to says that you should have a pipe at a certain depth.

Seems not, more common sense. Shame there is such little common sense tho.

Thanks again[/list]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back