pipes hard up against floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help with this? In a bedroom in our house a persistent clicking noise can heard. It lasts for at least 30-60 minutes after turning off the heating system.

So I lifted a floorboard and was almost lucky not to have cut a pipe with my circular saw due to the pipe the pressed hard up against the floorboard. Unfortunately, the floorboard runs perpendicular to the pipe so can't easily track it as it makes its way to the other side of the radiator. Of course this means the joists are parallel to the pipe.

Anyway, presumably its not great practice to run pipes hard up against the floorboard? And presumably that is what is making the clicking noise?

I did try a quick fix of putting a sliver of rockwool between it and the board but it didn't help. Is the only way to sort this out to remove dozens of other floorboards, drain the system and somehow redo the pipework in that room to have it lowered? How should a pipe run under the floor in such circumstances? Clipped to a single joist halfway between ceiling below and floorboard maybe?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but the pipes run parallel to the joists so there is no notch in the joist to cut!
They run parallel and hard up against the underside of the floorboards.

Well something must be holding the pipes up if the joists aren't, pipe clips?

Sponsored Links
Its hard to see without taking a lot more floorboards up but couldn't it be a combination of where the pipe enters the room under the wall and also where the pipes connect to the rad tails ?

Well yes, but it must be possible to move, flex the pipes a few mm and re clip to miss the floor boards.

I would but the pipe doesn't run close to the joist - parallel but in between them.

if its inbetween the joists but too high and hitting the floorboard it will need to be dropped cant be too difficult if its not clipped to the joist, force it down and slide thin polystyrene, rubber or something between the pipe and board

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back