Minimum shower enclosure ceiling clearance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We're getting out loft conversion done with a new bathroom up there. Is there a minimum (regulatory or recommended) distance between the top of a shower enclosure and the ceiling?

The room is 2.03m from floorboard to ceiling plasterboard. The enclosure we've ordered is 1.9m. I understand shower trays are usually 45mm? Will this give us enough clearance? 2030 - 1900 - 45 = 85mm? Possibly less if my measuring skills aren't up to scratch.

Is that going to be enough to allow steam to vent out the top? Its a 1200x800 quadrant so has two sides exposed away from the wall. There will be an extractor fan approx 1m away from the end of the shower venting the whole room.

Are we going to have problems with a wet ceiling? Any recommendations to combat that? I've seen other peoples ceilings rotting within a year!

Sponsored Links
Short space.

I recently installed a shower enclosure through an opening of 2.1 with the shower door + tray giving about 150mm clearance.
The ceiling in the shower is 2.3m up; moisture board, artex with tiling running all the way up, plastic coving and lots of bathroom paint and siliconed edges.

Seems to work a treat so far, no signs of damp (the framework is still exposed in the next room which is handy for the odd paranoid check), at some point an extractor fan will go in too.

In your situation presumably you will have to install mechanical ventilation to meet BR, which will help,
I'd also seriously consider plastic panelling on the ceiling at that height as it will be dripping wet, not.just from vapour but alot of splash.

Just think of it as a steam enclosure as well as a shower...
You can always leave the door open a few minutes after.

How tall are you?
I'm 6'1" so wanted to not feel too enclosed, at 2m it'd be seriously tight.
Can you rearrange at all to make use in the peak space?

Come to think of it, my brother is bigger than me (the big fat bastard :p) and he's just done an attic conversion with a shower that sounds much like yours so it must be passable.

Always worth checking the BR side first though if you need them.

A few times I showered in a shower that was completely enclosed - it got a bit warm and difficult to breathe. The shower head was against the ceiling, and I had to stoop to wash my hair - I'm 5'9". The shower's owner was 6'2" and didn't think much of the arrangement, but there were no problems with damp provided the sliding door was left open after showering.

A ducted fan with the intake above the shower might help.

mogget

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back