Minimum width of valley on roof junction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to do a rear extension and for planning reasons can't go full width, so need to inset very slightly. What is the minimum that the inset can be from a practicality of building the roof/join standpoint. i.e. I believe I will need to fit a ridge and a valley (see attached).

Would a 215mm inset be possible? Less?

Ideally I would achieve this with a reduced soffit rather than insetting the walls?

Attachments

• Inset_Roof_Extension_N.JPG
    Inset_Roof_Extension_N.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 254
Sponsored Links
My neighbour has practically zero which means it's all lead and pointing at the eave/verge. It looks like a mess, but it's clearly possible.

What we have done previously with these, is instead of having the tiles in that narrow section between the hip and the valley horizontal as normal and lots of cuts and small peices, fit them parallel to the hip and valley do that there are no cuts. You hardly notice and it looks much better beng nice and straight up the valley.

But you could, with a bit of work, devise something where the valley starts at the edge of the hip tile. It wont look nice as the depth of the valley is enhanced, making it look odd up against the hip tile

The hip will be mechanically fixed in any case, so no problems with that, and it would probablly need to be done in lead instead of a fibreglass trough.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Looks like I may get away with just insetting the roof (with smaller soffits).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back