Minor Cracks inside walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've some cracks that I'm getting concerned about. The house was built in 1986 and I have some small cracks on the internal walls.

The attached photos show some of the cracks, I have dug out and re-filled the cracks with good quality filler but 3 months later they are starting to re-apper (The cracks from the corner of the window, going diagnally up the wall to the ceiling)

The crack in the corner has not been repaired as yet.

My quetsion is what do you think the cause is and should I worry?

Also what should I do to fix them for good?

Thanks for your help !

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, can you recommend a good quality filler?

I plan to rake out the cracks and re-fill, sand and then paint. Is this the best course of action?

I personally like the new ultra-lightweight fillers - Red Devil, and Wickes do one too. Feels like an empty bucket when you pick it up.

Sponsored Links
Here are some more images on cracks in the airing cupboard which is by above the stairs and by the outside wall. And cracks in the bedroom wall which is plaster board internal wall and brick external.....should I be worried about these cracks?

We did have some re-pointing done as the mortar was blown, our brickie said was probably casued by poorly installed UPVC windows.

I cant see any other cracks in the outside wall or signs of majoe movement, i do need a small bit of re-pointing done as the first images, the outside wall has a small jagged crack in the mortar running down 3 brick courses.

Any advice? Should I worry?

the cracks where a plasterboaded stud wall meets a brick wall are not significant.

Have you got any cracks in a brick wall? How wide are they? Pencil some dots at each side of the crack, measure it, photograph it, see if it gets bigger.

If you have a crack that you can push a pencil into, it needs attention.

There are no cracks in brick walls, there are some minor cracks in the plaster but these are hairline...the only other cracks are in the mortar and I'll get these re-pointed.

The major ones are where stud walls meet brick ones....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back