Minor irritations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm a newbie here!

I guess I've found somewhere to let off steam! lol

We inherited a house in January, an 1867 property that hadn't been touched for years, although the house was in my partner's family it was rented by the same family for 50 years and upon the old ladies death last December she was paying less than £8 per week rent.

So we've mortgaged and gutted it! Biggest repair was having a complete exterior wall dropped the ground and re-built and we are adding a loft conversion!

All 'disaster' I guess are minor and more unfortunate (so far lol)
We bought a wine rack for the house (priorities eh!) and started building up the wine, 8 bottles disappeared one day!

We bought an ex-display kitchen - for £1k, worth £7k new, one complete worktop worth £2.5k for replace, was propped up all wrong last week and the weight of the sink was too much and it fell and smashed (fingers crossed on the insurance!!!)

Kitchen was plastered last week and someone left a floorboard off upstairs - yep I fell in it and foot through kitchen ceiling - fortunately it hadn't been skimmed! lol

Went to lock up last night - one of the loft team had put their foot through a bedroom ceiling - although no-one seems to know anything about it! :confused:

United Utilities were supposed to be re-connecting the new pipe yesterday, but didn't because they didn't have any traffic lights?????? New kerb goes into tomorrow, so now United Utilities will be ripping it up again next week! :rolleyes:

Took some plaster off an internal wall last night and ended up having to rebuild part of it!!!

I guess we've been lucky so far eh! :D

Never again!!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds reaonably run of the mill, apart from breaking the worktop, which was very careless. Best of luck though, it's a sharp but rewarding learning curve, do it again, you get wise to the pitfalls. Me and Bro are on our fourth now and whilst both strictly DIY, we know the right questions to ask, where to get stuff, how much it costs, and also, we are able to do a lot more than we used to.

Bangers said:
one of the loft team had put their foot through a bedroom ceiling - although no-one seems to know anything about it! :confused:

Had a similar thing with window fitters - despite a full tour of the house when we were gutting and re-fitting it for the benefit of the window fitters ("watch out for this, be aware of that" etc) one of the dozy clampets put his foot through a place where a floorboard was up and put foot straight through plastered ceiling.
Wouldn't have owned up to it unless I'd challenged them about it (and even then the guilty fool tried to make out it hadn't been his fault), and his bosses were less than impressed when we refused to pay until they had a "proper" plasterer (not just a window fitter with a bag of skim coat and a trowel) fix it and make it look like it was never there.
Vile Scumbags the lot of them.

But rest assured that you will have many more mishaps in the months to come :eek:

And today/s mishap is......

Paid just short of £900 to local council to have 'kerb dropped', contractor worked until 7pm last night, left barriers round overnight, came and removed this morning and someone (of course no-one knows anything about it!) drove over it and one of the side half flags has cracked and others have moved!

Now then, do I have a case with the council/contractors that they removed the barriers to soon and flags weren't set properly?

Eddie M? Fourth? Mad man! :D

Sponsored Links
Bangers said:
And today/s mishap is......

Paid just short of £900 to local council to have 'kerb dropped', contractor worked until 7pm last night, left barriers round overnight, came and removed this morning and someone (of course no-one knows anything about it!) drove over it and one of the side half flags has cracked and others have moved!

Now then, do I have a case with the council/contractors that they removed the barriers to soon and flags weren't set properly?

Eddie M? Fourth? Mad man! :D

You get used to disappointment!

[quote="Eddie M
You get used to disappointment![/quote]

I'm a woman, I guess that makes me too emotional! :confused: :D (or so I'm told!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back