House of Horrors!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I'd taken some photos now I've found this forum, sparkys look away.. although you've probably seen it all before , but maybe not the last item :eek:

Moved in November 2006:

Electrics

1. First trip up the loft electric shock where a junction box had been left by the hatch uncovered.

2. Try the electrics: Socket / Shower / light all off same circuit! Lift the floor boards to find the guy must have spent a fortune on junction boxes!
The best part of that is the house has been extended whilst he owned it and he used jb's everywhere on the new extension (to run sockets & lights together of course :rolleyes: ).

3. Electric shock number 2! Myself & the electrician could never quite figure out where the original cooker circuit ran, I found out one day when taking the tiles off in the kitchen and the back of my hand caught another jb that was set in behind the tile (of course no lid!) The last of his electrics & I'm still alive!

Then the Structure

Kitchen extended with archway using a concrete lintel meant for windows, one side of it he'd knocked the birckwork too far back and had just some bricks then some 3x3 timber holding it up!

Outside

Single breeze block walls with no drainage holding back god knows how many tons of earth!

Finishing all round:

Well the kitchen fell apart the night we moved in! Finishing all over the place was appauling, don't think the guy had a tube of glue what a mitre was!

and the creme de la creme...

Sparky & his mate were up in the loft (I was at work missus was at home). I get a panicky phone call from her to say that they'd found a bomb! (yea I thought it was a prank aswell) apparantly not! There was a real grenade up in the loft... so we had a visit from the bomb squad that day :D

Sponsored Links
Haha it did occur to me but the bomb squad insisted they took it away. No doubt they disarmed it and put it on there themselves :)

duckegg said:
Haha it did occur to me but the bomb squad insisted they took it away. No doubt they disarmed it and put it on there themselves :)

With this tight fisted government it was probably re-conditioned and put back into MoD stores

Sponsored Links
best thing for you to do would have been to put some rubber gloves on, pull the pin and run... :evil:

claim on the insurance and re-build from scratch..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back