House of horror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just spent two days fault finding after a call from a distressed lady who came home from a lengthy absence to find her freezer contents melted and mouldy.

RCD had tripped, one (broken) ring serving a four bed house over three storeys, IR tested each leg and dropped the low reading side out of the MCB, RCD stayed in, started testing various sockets, some had missing neutral, others Zs reading of 700, eventually found a blanked off socket behind a wardrobe, CPCs loose and not connected, neutrals in a choc block screws not nipped up. Back to the original fault which looks like a dodgy connection under the tiled bathroom floor, threw in a temp link to bypass it, alls well for now

Sponsored Links
Any idea what happened while she was away to cause the RCD to trip then, and not before?

Between the sockets in the kitchen with the low IR the cable (white sheath) leaves one and seems to go under the bathroom floor down to the other socket whereat merges with a grey sheath, so there must be a joint of some sort, and after seeing some of the other joints under the floor it could well be chock block, with the added possibility of a leak in the bathroom plumbing

Sponsored Links
I don't suppose you imagined it would take that long to track down the faults!

I don't suppose you imagined it would take that long to track down the faults!

Certainly didn't , having to go up and down two flights of stairs and then another into the cellar where the CU was gave me a good workout

Distressed lady might have been even more distressed to find him on his hands and knees with a mirror and a camera....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back