Minor leak after a long period of heavy rain (advice needed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, hello everyone, I'm newly registered but have been frequenting these forums as a guest for quite some time now for all my DIY needs and now I'm looking for some advice which I've not come across through the search function. So yeah here I am and I'll do my very best not to be a pain in the *rse.

A few days ago we had a good 16 hour non stop period of medium to heavy rain that continued well into the night, it was at this time I noticed a tiny leak that started on the ceiling corner and worked its way behind the coving and down the wall.

The next day after work and also when it had stopped raining I checked again and it was dry as a bone, I took a look outside at the roof and guttering and there is no obvious visual damage to either so I decided to look in the loft. After getting to the corner above the room I couldn't see any sign of wet on the beams, brick or the insulation but I did find a ten pence sized hole in the black lining just above.

I've stuck an old flattened cardboard box directly underneath the hole not as a fix but in the hope that next time there is heavy rain like that again I'll be able to see if it marks the box revealing the hole as the culprit.

If anyone could give me any other ideas, or anything I've missed that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Broken tile up the roof with water running down until it finds the 'hole' going into the loft.

Have a look at the roof from the outside.

Andy

So the initial breach could be further up the roof then? I'll have to check this tomorrow. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Ok so I've been outside to look at the roof and to my untrained eye it looks immaculate, all tiles appear to be as they should.

It's been raining fairly heavy all day today so I thought I'll check for the actual leak in the loft, I went up expecting to find a wet patch on the cardboard but there is nothing at all, it's bone dry still as is the wall and ceiling in the bedroom :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back