Mira coda mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very small drip which I think originates from the flow cartridge, so I want to take the cartridge out and clean it. I am however concerned as to how much pressure I can apply with a spanner so that I don't `twist` the pipework. Should I just go for it or is there any way to counter the `twist` effect.

I compare this to when I take a radiator off and I have to counter effect the torque when disconnecting the rad valves. I hope that makes sense.

On the attached image the cartridge is under cover A, I can get a spanner on that but nothing I can fix a spanner to when I remove cover B

mixer.jpg

mira_coda_2006-2010_coda.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could isolate the hot and cold supplies ,and take the valve off the wall to strip it.

Whichever side you remove, use one hand for spanner and one hand to hold shower body (once cooled obviously).

You could isolate the hot and cold supplies ,and take the valve off the wall to strip it.
If I cant get the valve off that will be the next thing I will do.

Whichever side you remove, use one hand for spanner and one hand to hold shower body (once cooled obviously).
Thanks

Sponsored Links
As per Terry you will need to isolate though ;)

If you are getting a drip past the flow cartridge, chance are it will need replaced. Rarely do 1/4 turn ceramic valves clean up to stop a drip, unless they are full of scale. Better off just replacing it.

If you want to get the thermo cartridge (B)off on these. Remove the centre screw, take off the cover and temp stop. You then unscrew the shroud and the cartridge will just pull out.

Once the water is off of course.

If you are getting a drip past the flow cartridge, chance are it will need replaced. Rarely do 1/4 turn ceramic valves clean up to stop a drip, unless they are full of scale. Better off just replacing it.
I am assuming it is the flow cartridge, I previously took off the flexi shower head hose and there was a small drip from that exit hole, It is only a little as with the flexi hose empty of water and then reinstalled it takes over 3 days for it to fill the hose and start dripping again.
We have soft water so unlikely to be heavily scaled.

Chances are the valve's just worn, they do that, no biggie. For all it'll be just order the correct one from Mira or someone that supplies their genuine part, makes all the difference when it comes to quality.

Yes I can get one for around £10. The shower is only around 3 years old and to be honest would expect a longer life than that.
I am struggling to loosen the valve and have had a lot of pressure on it so may have to take the complete unit off but in no rush as the drip is minimal and is not causing any real issues.
I am partly delaying as well because I have plumber who done my other shower pipework coming back to bypass my loft water tank so all will be running off mains and I may get him to loosen it for me if I haven't managed by then.

Nah, these ceramic valves are only rated with around a 2 year lifespan these days, they seem to have trouble if any material or scale gets to them. I've noticed that the manufacturers used to guarantee them along with the bar but too many were being replaced under warranty so they've changed that.

The trick to removing them if they won't give is to give the spanner a sharp tap to break the grip of the seal. You do need to support the bar though of course.

Always best to leave it to the plumber if you're unsure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back