Mira excel pre 2003 903.33 cartridge replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people
This has been happening for a while but basically I’ve been ruddy lazy until the wife quite rightly bent my ear
We have 2 showers one being a walk in and the other the Mira Excel we installed way back in late 90’s early 00’s in with our bath
The shower when turned off still drips and it has got worse over the last months, I actually made the drip slow down by turning the temp gauge al the way round to cold but now that doesn’t make a difference but what I have noticed the drip water is warm so I have turned the water off now at the stop cocks under the bath
My simple question is just buy a new whole cartridge (£165) or do any of you good people suggest or think there is another problem
By the way I unscrewed the shower hose from the shower control unit and the water was dripping freely from it ( not when the stop cocks were off of course)
Thanks in advance guys
Kev

Sponsored Links
I've owned two of these for the past 17 years and have changed them both at some point due to one issue or another. I even bought a (new) spare one just in case but haven't used it to date.

I periodically take the unit out and clean the crud from the wire mesh inlet filter (hot and cold) and doing that invariably improves the flow.
But if it's letting by then it's time for a new one.

A couple of tips ... make sure you replace it the right way round (in my case it's hot to the left). I mark it with red and blue sharpie to avoid a mistake.
Apply some grease to the relevant O rings to help it slide back in.
Make sure you isolate the hot and cold supplies tightly to avoid getting water everywhere.
Take photos of the dis-assembly if you think you might not remember which order the bits go back in.

I replied hoping to have been of some, small, help .... that was a week ago.
I'm sorry my comments didn't assist at all.

Oh god
Sorry mr B that was rude of me
Of course your reply was more that helpful and I apologise for not getting back to you
I did as you said and I removed the cartridge , a bit stiff but got it out and cleaned it with white vinegar , now this is where it gets strange, the 2 oblong rubber gadgets rings were NOT in place???, no they had not disintegrated or any thing like so that was odd, however I put the cartridge back and opened up the stop cocks and low and behold NO DRIPPING!
We have tested the shower 2 or 3 times and no dripping ? Very odd , it’s working perfectly however I have sent off for the rubber rings and I think I will put them on when they arrive ….. or should I just leave it?
Anyway I’ve sent off for the new cover set as the old has dulled quite a bit
That’s now it stands Mr B unless you have an answer for what has happened?
Again apologies and I do really appreciate you for your time
Kevin

Sponsored Links
I have no obvious explanation for the rings being absent but the mating surfaces where the rings fit are a tight and accurately machined fit which would means there's less chance of a leak even if the rings wee missing - and it's not difficult to lose the rings as they can drop off easily if you're not careful. using grease on the mating surfaces and in the seat where the rings fit all helps.

Thanks
Yeah I gave them a good clean so all ok at the moment, as I said no leaking so I’ll not change anything until I see a leak in the future
All the best

hi Mr B
Back again, I thought I’d give it a week or so and let things settle down before I came back here
So I got the old cartridge out (903-33 ) I believe , it has a purple temp gauge knob anyway took it out and soaked it in white vinegar overnight, cleaned the O and oblong rings and replaced it, (I did notice on shaking it I could hear something banging around inside ) anyway replaced it
Working ok BUT its now is a bit too hot , so I looked at the YouTube shower doctor video on how to reset the temp knob but no matter what I do it will not lower the temperature enough to be happy with it ( especially her who must be obeyed)!
Should I just hold my hands up and buy a new cartridge
In anticipation
Keser

There comes a time when we know we're beaten :)

Either Google it and get the cheapest new cartridge you can see online - or go for one of the reputable shower parts people - I've bought from both and both turned out to be fine.

You know what Mr B
Agreed, a new one it is
Thanks a I’ll let you know the result

Hi Mr B
Just to report bought a new cartridge and new shower covers from eBay
Fitted and works a treat with correct heat and no drip , well happy ( the wife is off my back too)
Once again thank you for your help and advice
Keser

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back