Mira Shower / electrics issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay.

I was at work when my wife went to use the shower.

She pulled the chord on the shower switch, then tried to start the shower but it didn't work.

At this point she noticed that the red light was not on in the pulley unit.

When she came out of the ensuite to ring me she noticed that all of the electrics were off upstairs.

Over the phone I talked her through turning the electrics off in the fuse box and back on.

She did this and everything came back on including the shower.

The only issue we are now having is that the water pressure in the shower is very weak, maybe half as strong as it was before the incidents occurred.

Any advice as to where to start to fix it?

Thanks in advance people!

Sponsored Links
The only issue we are now having is that the water pressure in the shower is very weak, maybe half as strong as it was before the incidents occurred.
IMPORTANT Q:

Is that with the controls set to where you typically had them before, or with them set so that the water is the same temperature as it typically was before?

Sponsored Links
IMPORTANT Q:

Is that with the controls set to where you typically had them before, or with them set so that the water is the same temperature as it typically was before?

Originally with the controls where they were before (we always kept them at the same temperature etc) but then we also noticed that after the incident accured that the temperature was lower, so we fiddled about with the settings and got it to where we wanted it. The water pressure never improved though.

One of the elements in the heater can has failed. That's why the water was colder than it had been, and when you reduced the flow to make it hotter you got less water than you had before.

One of the elements in the heater can has failed. That's why the water was colder than it had been, and when you reduced the flow to make it hotter you got less water than you had before.

Just tested it. It seems that I'm getting the same water pressure regardless of the water pressure setting.

Is that a second fault or could it be a different problem?

Thanks for that. Will that effect the temperature and the pressure?
One or the other.

Showers like that work by heating cold water as it flows through, so if you are putting less heat in because one of the heating elements has failed then if you don't reduce the rate of flow the water won't be made as hot. If you want it to be made as hot you have to reduce the flow.

Surely you've noticed that in the summer you can get more water out of it than in the winter?

Is it worth trying to repair or should I look at replacing the whole unit?
Depends on the price of a new heater vs a whole new shower.

If you decide to replace the whole unit, prepare to be really annoyed that the water and electrical connections are in different places to your current shower, even with ones from Mira that look exactly the same on the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back