Mira Sport - Sudden Death

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a Mira Sport 8.5kW electric shower which was fitted about 10 years in an ensuite shower. Although it used to work fine, it hasn't been used very much and now it seems to have given up on life and expired.

When the mains switch is on, the power light comes on.

When the control is moved to Cool, the power light stays on but nothing seems to happen, apart from a very faint gurgling noise and a very slow dribble or dripping of cold water out the bottom outlet.

When the control is moved to Low or High, the "Low Pressure" warning light comes on, but the dribbling continues.

But move the control back to Stop and the dribbling stops.

I have checked that the shower is receiving 240V and it is. I have removed the inlet filter and cleaned it (not that it needed cleaning), but it made no difference. The water at the shower inlet is mains pressure and is certainly not low pressure.

Any ideas as to what is wrong ?

Sponsored Links
depending on the hardness of your water but 10years is a good life for any electric shower. Probably scaled up and would need replacing

True, but it has hardly been used at all so I can't believe it has got scaled up. Also the water in this area seems to be soft - we don't get any scale deposits in the kettle.

is the water pressure sufficient? These showers wont operate under low pressure conditions and also check the shower hose and spray head for blockages

Sponsored Links
Bryan

Thanks for the link. There are no blockages in the inlet pipe or the outlet or hose. As far as I know the water pressure is fine - but then how do you easily test it ? If you turn the cold water taps on, the water jets out with quite some force, so the pressure doesn't appear to be low.

Also the shower used to work but doesn't now.

Having said that, the water flow from the shower (when it worked) was never anything like that of the cold taps but isn't that always the case with electric showers which have to heat up cold water as it flows through ?

I was wondering whether there might be some obvious component (valve or thermal trip switch ?) that has stuck or failed ? Is it worth stripping out the components as per the manual ?

You need a new Pilot valve part number 419.86 I think, had a sport today same fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back