Mirror Cabinet door - would you use mirror glue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We were woken in the night by a loud smash to discover the mirror that forms the bathroom cabinet door had fallen off and smashed! This had been in place for about 10 years.

Photo attached. You can see the mirror was glued to the metal hinge on the left using sticky pads.

My question is:. If we got another mirror cut would you think we're ok to glue it to the hinge on the left hand side so it can continue to operate as a door? We're slightly anxious as clearly this has just failed and could have hurt someone! The mirror is would be about 45 cm wide by 90cm tall. The hinge is about 2cm wide with a slight recess where the glue pads are stuck.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200614_092930883.jpg
    IMG_20200614_092930883.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 451
Sponsored Links
Everbuild mirror mate never let me down.
Wear gloves as it grips immediately and doesn't let go.
On a second thought, i would screw a piece of 9mm ply to the hinges if possible and glue the mirror on the ply.

Thanks johnny2007 that's reassuring! I won't be able to screw ply to the hinge though as it would lift the mirror away from the cabinet so would not shut flush.

I'll look for that glue.

Cheers.

The double sided tape is very strong , should have been used full length of hinge.Its better than glue as it absorbs shock when door is closed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks foxhole this makes sense. Yes the tape had not been applied the full length of the hinge.

One more thought/question. Does the fact that the mirror is double sided matter? I.e. the surface being stuck is mirror rather than the painted back.

thanks!

Thanks foxhole this makes sense. Yes the tape had not been applied the full length of the hinge.

One more thought/question. Does the fact that the mirror is double sided matter? I.e. the surface being stuck is mirror rather than the painted back.

thanks!
No, smooth surface is ideal,I have used double-sided tape to fix computer cages before and had a real struggle getting them off when no longer needed it is really strong used correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back