Large bathroom mirror just fell off and smashed...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I really need some help here and I would be really grateful! Please see photos below: -

https://imgur.com/a/OH4rO

Our house was completely refurbished about 18 months ago. We have 2 bathrooms that have almost identical setup. They both have a large piece of mirror (Ikea (120cm X 96cm)) glued onto the wall tiles.

Basically, we had a disaster at home last night, one of the large bathroom mirror fell off and smashed. Luckily, we don't use that particular bathroom. Now, we believe the installation was done incorrectly leading to this, we are really worried about the other bathroom mirror...

I am now trying to work out exactly what went wrong, i.e. what the builders did wrong with the installation. Obviously, he glued it onto the wall tiles rather than using the mirror hangers.

1. I have noticed that there is a sheet of white plastic right behind the mirror, as provided by Ikea. Does anyone know if this white plastic was meant to be removed before you apply the glue??

2. I can see that the "glue" used are remained on the wall tiles, but no glue can be seen on the back of the mirror (i.e. the white plastic). I'm concerned about the type of "glue" used, because it doesn't look like Mirror Adhesive but maybe just basic bathroom silicone? I peeled some of these "glue" off the wall tiles last night and they feel like rubber (you can compress it using fingers). Does anyone know if Mirror Adhesive would feel that same after they have been applied to the wall for so long??

Finally, I'm intending to remove the other bathroom mirror, because we have a few children at home... Any thoughts please?

Mirrors were from : -
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/decoration/bathroom-mirrors/godmorgon-mirror-art-50149131/

Many thanks,
fivefive

Sponsored Links
That seems to have been "glued" to the wall with silicon sealant and most of the silicon hasn't even touched the back of the mirror, especially at the top, let alone "glued it to the wall. Personally I would never have silicon sealant, or any other "glue" to attach a mirror that big and heavy to a wall. In my opinion that should have been screwed with hefty corner supports. I would remove the other one asap because if it has been as badly fixed as that one it will fall off. Builders ??????? Surely more like road sweepers, oh sorry I'm disparaging road sweepers.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Would this have happened if they used proper Mirror Adhesive rather than silicon sealant?

Many thanks!

Mirror is intended for mechanical fixing , plastic to rear would be to protect from moisture damage and may not have strength to take adhesive, silicon is not suitable especially when so poorly applied.

Sponsored Links
I would question the quality of an IKEA mirror for adhesive fixing, which there is nothing wrong with provided the correct adhesive and a good quality suitable mirror is used and applied properly and the tiles lend themselves to take the adhesive.

But that just looks like it was thrown up with hardly anything, whatever they used.

But at least the mirrors did have the film which largely kept them intact. Did it do any damage to the worktop/fittings etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back