Mirror - is it safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter's bathroom has a very large mirror covering most of one wall, I would guess the mirror size at about 8feet by 4.5feet - it is of very thick glass. It has no visible means of support, no corner or side fixings, but is located on top of some very cheap tiles, some of which have cracks like stressmarks.
The mirror can only be held by some sort of adhesive. Generally the house plaster is uneven and poor. The house was built in 1898.
I have nightmares of this mirror crashing down, and the consequences could be unthinkable.
I want to ensure that it is secured so this could never happen, I also want to replace all the tiles that could well be supporting the weight.
Any ideas as to how I should go about this? Am I worrying unnecessarily?
Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
child safety is the most important thing in the world in my eyes and if you think it is not safe then take it down by force if nessicary, not only that if your child was playing and banged something against it ...........

Some mirrors are secured by the screw heads in the wall fitting into slots in the back of the frame. To remove the mirror you need to lift it slightly and pull it away from the wall. When done properly the mirror will be flush against the wall.

Sponsored Links
Well, I should have explained that my daughter is 37, it is her house but I am lucky enough to do her diy.
This mirror has no frame. Frankly it is the best feature of a horrid bathroom and I want to refurbish the whole lot. I would prefer not to remove the mirror (I cant imagine how I would do it) but to make some sort of frame secured so as to ensure it could never fall. I was afraid that if I removed the bottom tiles to install such a frame it might go.

If you think that the weight of the mirror is cracking the tiles then the mirror is on the move, downwards. If it has not been correctly installed then there is a risk that it may fall. Give it a wiggle and see if you can feel any movement.

The choice is yours but if in doubt, rip it out :cool: :D

It will be glued which is normally a very secure way of fixing , if you are worried you could fit additional support with corner brackets across the four corners.

OK I will try to find some corner brackets - any ideas where to try, the glass is very thick. I have tried to move it, as suggested, and I was unable to get any sign of movement whatsoever. Must be very strong glue to hold that weight up.

Fit 2" battens x (e.g. 2"x!/2") battens around the outer edge of the mirror making sure they are securely screwed to the wall and flush with the mirror surface. On top of these fit a further layer of battens that overlap the lower battens so forming a frame around the mirror. As a precaution against expansion you could put a thin layer of draught insulation on the underside of the top battens so acting as a cushion. But if in doubt then do as suggested and rip it out wearing appropriate safety glasses/gloves etc.

You are the man on site, if there is no movement (not even a hint of a wiggle ...stoppit) then you must make the call. No pressure, but on your sisters head be it. :D

Reinforcing with brackets is a good idea but sadly I have no idea where you would find such things.

Aha just found these.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info...Name=Mirror+Support+Corner+36mm+Black[/QUOTE]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Corner-Mirr...14&_trkparms=72:1686|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back