Mirror light with touch switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am fitting a mirror with light which has an infrared proximity switch (just wave you hand near it to turn on, same again to turn it off). I want to be able to operate it independent of the bathroom lights. To allow this it will require unswitched live to power the touch switch electronics and would therefore require a means of isolating it. Is it best to fit an isolator like a fan isolator or just another light switch?

I am just routing cables throught the wall right now, and cutting out for back boxes outside the bathroom for fan isolation etc and will have electrician complete and sign off.

cheers
jon

Sponsored Links
You need to ask the electrician - if he is going to be "signing it off" then he is the only one who can decide how and where to have any isolation.

Sponsored Links
...so you don't know then! ;)
Of course I know.

I also know that the ONLY person ENTITLED to make the decision on how/were to have an isolator is the one you will be asking to sign off your work.

Thanks Holmslaw. Appreciate the straight forward response.

thank you for your concern ban-all-sheds, but don't fret, it is true.

I have given notification to building control so that notification will remain open until it is signed off. The house will be up for sale after this work is complete so it's in my interest to sign it off otherwise it will show up on the search the purchasers undertake. Did the same process with the kitchen about a year ago and that all went smoothly.

Are you always this grumpy?

Not grumpy at all.

I just find it hard to understand the contradiction between you on the one hand really wanting an electrician to "sign off" work that you do and on the other not valuing advice to make the electrician able to genuinely sign an EIC to say that he did the design.

I suppose you could just be a scumbag bent property developer with a bent electrician prepared to lie for you....

Nonsense!

Notifying the local authority (with paper work and fee) and having them arrange the inspection and sign off and issue part p certificate is a perfectly legitimate way of doing it. They have their own retained electricians they use for this - I don't get to choose who signs it off.

Nonsense!

Notifying the local authority (with paper work and fee) and having them arrange the inspection and sign off and issue part p certificate is a perfectly legitimate way of doing it. They have their own retained electricians they use for this - I don't get to choose who signs it off.
But surely the electrician (LABC) will have to see the first fix before you cover up the cables etc to ensure you have/plan to run the cables in the safe zones and that the correct cable is sized against the correct MCB and additional protection is provided by an RCD.

Yes that's right . The time with the kitchen he made two visits. On the bathroom haven't had the first visit yet, only been two days since notified.
No walls closed up yet where the wiring is, back box for fan isolator just above door outside bathroom easy access for cable from ceiling. In line fan in loft.
Changes are minor, Fan+additional LED ceiling lights. The mirror light change was a change from what I had submitted, hence the question, although I not sure I'll bother with that now and just run it off lighting circuit.

Nor do you get them to do 2nd fix for you.

As in
I am just routing cables throught the wall right now, and cutting out for back boxes outside the bathroom for fan isolation etc and will have electrician complete and sign off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back