downlights and mirror light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

I'm replacing a ceiling rose in my bathroom with three downlights and also a mirror light. Do I just replace the rose with a junction box, keeping the wiring as it is and use the cable that used to be the flex to the pendant to connect to the first downlight, then from there to the next and the next and then finally the mirror light?

I'm also adding an extractor fan with a timer. is it ok to take that straight from the same junction box as the lights? and I've been told to put an isolator switch in for the fan but I only want it to come on with the lights so is the isolator a requirement or is it more for maintanence?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
If the old rose has a lot of wires in it, chances are it contains a permanent live, switched live, and neutral.

If it has all this, you can supply everything from this point.

Is there an earth in this lighting circuit? If NOT, you're going to have problems.

If yes, use a large 20 amp 4 terminal junction box, IF accessible above.

Make sure all new wiring has an earth wire throughout, and connect all these to the earth in the junction box.

Not cut off any 'unused' earths, these should be terminated in a 5 amp connector block.

You should fit an isolator for the fan. This can be a ceiling pull switch, or a wall switch which is best all round outside the bathroom. Usual place above the door, or perhaps a nearby cupboard - but without making it too hard to find.

Thanks for the reply. The new lights don't have an earth, what problems will that cause and how best can I deal with them?

And the mirror light is just a small light above the mirror. It said on the box mirror light.

Sponsored Links
If your new lights don't have an earth connection, then they may be double insulated and therefore do not require an earth. If they come with cable on them, there won't be an earth wire within in the cable.

Just connect your wiring to the new lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back