1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Misaligned tiles after valley repair

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by Jonandheidi, 1 Jul 2019.

1. Jonandheidi

Jonandheidi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I have just had a valley repaired, this included removal of roof tiles around, lifting and rebed of valley tiles on new felt. Now it appears though that a number of tiles are misaligned next the the cut ones. The roofer has been back today and packed a couple of tiles on the lath, and is now saying he’s happy, I have had a look and I don’t think I am! There are gaps at about 5 interlocks in the tiles, and my thinking is these gaps are new as there is no moss in them. He’s now wanting paying - what are people’s thoughts? And any thoughts on why these gaps have appeared, has he set the cut tiles wrong?

Attached Files:

2. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It looks like a typical 'creep' situation whereby the tiles are rising towards the valley and away from their intended plane (seating correctly on the batten), because tiles do not bend. This is more common with those awful valley tiles you have presently.

I would have refused to repair that valley, instead insisting on a new dry fella and a much better looking roof.

3. datarebal

datarebal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    should have had the valley troughs skipped while they were out.
    They are often the cause of leakage so why put them back?

4. Jonandheidi

Jonandheidi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for reply.
    Should I just accept this in your opinion? Is there anything that can be done other than rip out and redo with lead valley?

5. Jonandheidi

Jonandheidi

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I’m no roofer so, I basically described the symptoms and the roofer offered up the solution...

6. datarebal

datarebal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes I get that. But I would guess you probably had damp in the valley maybe near the bottom. Or even showing in a few places of the valley rafter where holes appeared in the felt...