Missing cover on an old junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

There is a junction box, quite an old looking one, in my mains cupboard, just below the main fuse box. It feeds to/from the mains meter. As can be seen in the pic it is missing a cover and therefore is exposing live parts. There is no sign of the cover in or around the cupboard. Where could I get a replacement for this? What is this type of junction box called?

By the way, the picture should be rotated 90 degrees!

View media item 65977

Sponsored Links
It's a single pole "Henley Block"/"Service Connector"
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK1101.html
Finding the exact lid maybe problematic, so I would swap it, the tails are live and the main fuse will require pulling if you have no isolator. Your DNO take on the responsibility of pulling the fuse, so you may require to contact them.
Tell them you have a dangerous exposed live cable.
In the meantime if the area has a door that can be locked or secured, do that or put a barrier/enclosure up to prevent accidental contact.

Sponsored Links
this one looks a lot closer

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/RDCB3.html

still not the same model though. I would be wanting to get it resolved ASAP.

Your best bet is to speak to your Supplier / DNO and arrange for one of them to come and fit you a DP isolator. This will allow anyone (you if you're competent) or a spark to change that henley for a new one

Can you take a picture of the earth green one.

If thats the same I would suggest getting someone competent to swop the lid from that.
And using a newer block for the earths.
That work can possibly be done by somone competent just isolating the loads and not having to remove the main fuse

Theres also the possibility the threads gone thus the covers fell off, then that will require more indepth replacement anyway

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have no intention of going anywhere near it, I'm very aware that it is live. I will be calling the supplier to fit an isolator and will then get a spark to fit something new.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have no intention of going anywhere near it, I'm very aware that it is live. I will be calling the supplier to fit an isolator and will then get a spark to fit something new

If you get a new SP henley block ready, I'm sure the nice man the supplier send out will be happy to change it for you, it's worth a go and might save you a few quid

I stressed a COMPETENT person twice

If it is an EARTH block
Replacement would not normally entail removal of a main fuse or be classed as working live

If you have kids etc as a very tempery solution I would swap the cover off the neutral block with great care, at least you shouldn't get a shock off the neutral
I'm sure I will get shot down for suggesting this but no one can argue that an exposed live is not far more dangerous then an exposed neutral especially on a PME/TN-C-S system

Actually scrap that just realised there different types of block

I took the sound advice above an contacted my DNO who sent an engineer out the same day. I had a new MK Service Connector ready and waiting and as predicted by Iggifer the engineer was happy to fit.

Thanks to all for the advice, made safe the exposed terminals and saved a few quid doing it.

I took the sound advice above an contacted my DNO who sent an engineer out the same day. I had a new MK Service Connector ready and waiting and as predicted by Iggifer the engineer was happy to fit.
Thanks to all for the advice, made safe the exposed terminals and saved a few quid doing it.

Good to hear you have had it sorted out safely and the issue has now been resolved.
It is appreciated (by me and I guess others) that you have posted back with the results gained by information provided and taken on your topic, some don't!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back