missing joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just pulled down an artexed ceiling with the intention of re-boarding it before getting someone in to skim it.
Unfortunately, on one side there is a gap between the last joist and the wall of 250mm so I have nothing to screw the ceiling baord to.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I've just pulled down an artexed ceiling with the intention of re-boarding it before getting someone in to skim it.
What was the overall condition of the original ceiling; a decent spread could have skimmed over the Artex without any problems! Re-board with square edge 12.5mm rather than 9.5mm; board across the joists & stagger the joints; butt them close.

Unfortunately, on one side there is a gap between the last joist and the wall of 250mm so I have nothing to screw the ceiling baord to.
Any ideas?
Simplest solution is to secure a 30mm timber batten to the wall.

So if the joists are 250mm short, what is keeping them up?
I would overlap the joist by 300mm with same size as current, so they are supported by the wall where the gap is, if that is possible.
Making sure they are firmly fixed to each other.

So if the joists are 250mm short, what is keeping them up?
Think he means there is 250mm between the side of the joist & the wall so nothing supporting the edge of the PB along that wall ;) ; at least that’s the way I read it :confused:

Sponsored Links
I agree with RC but would use a 3"x2" against the wall and a few pieces of it braced across from the joist and screwed in the joist and the 3x2 and a few fixings in the wall... ;)

timber may have to go on the top of the wall as it could be that the ceiling was finished and the wall went up afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back