Missing water tank lid, Maybe tank out of shape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently bought a new property with a water tank in the loft. It currently has no lid and is in need of pipe insulation.

I wanted to ask is it possible for a water tank to be 'Out of shape'?
the current dimensions are 112cm(L), 64cm(W at the edges) and 73cm(W in the middle)

The lids which I have found online and in toolstation seem to be 122cm (L), 64cm(W).

Is my tank a funny shape or is it infact 'Out of shape'.

What are the possible options to fix this ?
1. make custom lid
2. fix the tank?
3. any other?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
I would go for a plywood lid.

Insulate the sides and top, but NOT the underside. Do the pipes too.

Check that the tank hasn't distorted because it's not properly supported. It should be on a solid sheet of thick marine ply or similar, not just a couple of bits of wood at either end. This is VERY important to prevent catastrophic failure.

Go for option 3, and buy a new tank with a new 18mm ply base. As your tank has distorted.

Worst case scenario is that your tank will distort even more and flood your new house while your at work or at night while your sleeping. It always happens at the most inconvenient time.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back