Water Tank Lid Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been advised by a surveyor that my cold water tank in the loft
requires a lid. The biggest problem is the access to the loft is very small and no way would a solid lid be able to fit through a 21" x 12"(530mm x 300mm)hatch The tank itself is a little strange in that it is 25" wide at either end but bows out to about 29" in the middle and is 41" long (610mm[735mm] x 1040mm)
Can anyone suggest where or how I can obtain a very flexable lid or how I can resolve this problem.....many thanks

Sponsored Links
The amusing question is how the tank got into the loft in the beginning!

Its very difficult to get lids for older tanks. You should see if there is a manufacturer's name and model on the tank.

You will probably have to do a bodge with wood/plastic. Many of these are poorly thought out and cause the float valve to stick on a while later.

It would be sensible to put a normal size loft hatch in place as that size is pretty useless.

We now measure things in millemetres

Tony

first problem i can see is how are YOU are going to get into the space to fit the lid, you solve that then proceed as follows :LOL: never use wood for a tank lid it will get mouldy, best solution is to get thin fibreglass sheeting (or perhaps pvc from window supplier) wider than you need for overlaps, cut it into 3 long strips and overlap it, drill holes along the length and pop some short nut & bolts to hold the lid together when on the tank,

Sponsored Links
The amusing question is how the tank got into the loft in the beginning!....
That's easy - the builders probably stuck the tank in the loft before they put the roof on.

The bow in the width could just be the weight of water in the tank forcing the sides out a bit, or , if you are very unlucky, there is insufficient support under the tank, and it's slowly collapsing under it's own weight :eek:

Maybe consider making a lid from corrugated plastic roofing sheets?

The simplest method is think plastic sheet as a vapour barrier and a flat wood sheet above.

Many of the older plastic tanks were not even made to have a lid. They were designed to bow outwards a fair bit.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back