Round Main Water Tank _ Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been trying to locate a round water tank lid for the main cold water storage tank in the loft, due to non correct fitting lid that is currently causing alot of condensation in the loft.

Any ideas or suppliers / manufactures ??

There is not name on the tank, only one on the lid and I cannot find the piece of paper it was written on, and I won't be up in the loft until tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for all help received.

Cheers Chris

Sponsored Links
coops1975 said:
non correct fitting lid that is currently causing alot of condensation in the loft.
How does the lack of a lid cause a lot of condensation?

Softus

I asked for advice on this forum about the wet black fabric that was in the loft, and one of the possible causes was to make sure that the water tank lid fitted, now since I have only been in this house for 3 months and that our surveyor highlighted it as well in his report I therefore would like to find a lid that will fit.

Any further help would be helpful

Otherwise I cannot answer your question!

Chris

Apologies - I should have said that I absolutely agree that there should be a lid, for all the usual reasons.

What I don't get is why the absence of one is the sole cause of "a lot of condensation". For example, this could result from the water being too hot, in either or the cisterns, or the loft space being too hot. These are symptoms of different problems, and I wouldn't like to the one who let you go away thinking that you're curing those problems simply by fitting a lid.

That's all I meant.

Sponsored Links
Hi Softus

What I though I would do is to correct the few things that the surveyor put in his report. Otherwise all I know is that when I went into the loft the other morning after a night of frost the black fabric that is underneath the roof tiles was wet to touch (never seen this before), also the fibre glass insulation is covered in black spots / like dust all over the loft insulation.

The house has space at the edges (eves?) to allow for ventialation.

The house is 8 year old and there was an extre main water tank spare in the loft that had tried to have been fitted but by the looks of it the builder / fitter gave up and installed the one that is currently being used.

I have a large round cold water storage tank and a small header tank for the central heating. The water temp in the foamed storage tank in the bathroom is set to 55C. Therefore there are no hot water pipes in the loft space as far as I am aware.

Any ideas or advice would be great, the surveyor said that I can get elastic type covers that would fit better than the one that I currently have that is round and over hangs the bottom part filled with water by about 10cm all the way around without fitting correctly.

Cheers

Chris

coops1975 said:
Hi Softus
Hi coopes1975

What I though I would do is to correct the few things that the surveyor put in his report.
Fair play.

Otherwise all I know is that when I went into the loft the other morning after a night of frost the black fabric that is underneath the roof tiles was wet to touch
It's possible that you have too much ventilation, and that the evening mist, (or morning dew) is getting in. ;)

...there are no hot water pipes in the loft space as far as I am aware.
You should find that each cistern has a vent pipe hanging over the top of it - each is capable of dispensing hot water and/or water vapour. Current Water Regulations stipulate the use of a well-fitting lid with both a vent to ambient air (to equalise the pressure) and a sealed hole into which the vent pipe pokes.

Softus

Cheers

Both the main and small tank have pipes that go above the lid and then pop through the lids. The vent I would think in the overflow pipe that leads to the outside wall?

The small header tank is the typical square type.

Do you have any ideas were I can find a lid elastic or non elastic lid for the large round water tank ?

Cheers

Chris

coops1975 said:
The vent I would think in the overflow pipe that leads to the outside wall?
Nope - the warning pipe is supposed to be connected dip tube, therefore is not a vent if installed correctly. It's also supposed to have a filter, to prevent bug and rodent ingress.

The small header tank is the typical square type.
Er, typically these are rectagular. :confused:

Do you have any ideas were I can find a lid elastic or non elastic lid for the large round water tank ?
Take a picture and its dimensions along to your local plumbers' merchant. Ask for a "Byelaw Kit". You might have to try more than one merchant.

Are the eves vents actually clear :?: ...I know of an estate of 100 houses where the vents are visible on the outside but don`t go thru` to the roof void .....but it`s Housing Association so who cares :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back