condensation in water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have condensation in my water tank in the loft, the water forms on the lid and then drips down the outside of the tank.

Many thanks in advance for any info.

kind regards
gg412310

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the lid doesn't fit very well.

Is this the cold storage cistern, or the F&E cistern?

If the latter, then some water vapour isn't unusual, but if the CSC then the water is too warm then there's a risk of Legionella growth, so you need to investigate further.

You are right the lid only fits when there is no water in the tank.

I believe it is a cold water storage system, water is distributed around the rest house from this tank.

Any drinking water is comes direct from the main before the tank.

You are right the lid only fits when there is no water in the tank.
You've completely mystified me with that comment.

I believe it is a cold water storage system, water is distributed around the rest house from this tank.
In that case you have an exceedingly unhealthy situation - one that breaches the Water Regulations and defies common sense.

Any drinking water is comes direct from the main before the tank.
That's no crumb of comfort, because if you have a shower fed from the CSC then you risk any Legionella bacteria present in the cistern being sprayed onto your face and misted into the air ready for you to inhale.

Sponsored Links
When drained the lid fits the tank better than when full, there is about a 1cm overhang around the lid when full.

I believe the system is called an open vented system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back