Mist coat/primer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I decorated our house about a year ago. I stripped all the wallpaper off the walls and sugar soaped the walls and painted Dulux emulsion straight on. However I've only learned about applying a mist coat, but I want to know why mix with water? Apart from one area in the paint where cracking has occured I've had no other problems. The cracking in this case is like lots if little lines in on the surface of the paint, could this be anything to do with it? Also would it be worth scraping of all the paint and starting again or leave it and see what happens?

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
'Mist coat' is a thinned coat of emulsion (25-30%) for new plaster, it soaks into the plaster rather than just laying on the surface so providing a good key for subsequent coats..
The cracking/lines you describe sound more like a reaction to impurities such as paste residue left on the plaster..
Probably too late now to remove this unless its really flaky..Give it a sand down and a couple of coats of good trade vinyl matt emulsion not DIY store rubbish! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back