Mist coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am painting new plaster yellow so I was wondering if the mist coat is applied with white paint or the same colour as your final topcoat.

thanks

Sponsored Links
It can be either, although white 'contract' emulsion tends to be cheaper. The important thing is to ensure it is non-vinyl matt. A lot of the coloured emulsions contain vinyl.

I always use cheap, own brand white matt emulsion thinned 25-30%, apply 2-3 coats in quick succession; dry overnight & then apply your chosen finish. Nothing stopping you using your yellow top coat as long as it’s standard matt emulsion, non vinyl, non washable & doesn’t have a high acrylic content but the mist coat colour really won’t make an awful lot of difference to the top coat coverage. If its quality paint, you may need to thin more than 30% as it needs to be thin to soak into the microscopic pores of the plaster & provide a good key for the top coats, otherwise your paint will either eventually fall off or come off in sheets with any wallpaper subsequently stuck over it!

You must leave a skim a minimum 10 days, base coat + skim for 28 days to dry out.

To add to this, can I recommend you avoid paints specifically for new plaster.

They're not what I expected. They're thick, heavily pigmented, dry too quickly and don't stick very well.

Sponsored Links
I use Dulux trade supermatt. It is just about the only Dulux product that I actually like using. sands down a treat if you get any snots between coats.

I used to use the supermatt, but could not tell too much difference between that and a Macpherson paint, other than the price. However, when it comes to glossing, or finish coats, then I will switch back to Dulux.

I have to be very desperate these days to 'switch back' to anything Dulux, I'm afraid.[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back