mist coating...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry - this has probably been asked a thousand times but I couldn't see specific answers to my questions when I did a quick search..

So I had my walls and ceiling plastered over a week ago, its all dry now so I attempted a mist coat last night. The cheapy crown emulsion said to use 40% water for the mist coat so went ahead and applied this.

There seems to be some "runs" in the plaster like drip marks and the paint doesn't seem to be sticking to this at all, just showing straight through - is this normal, will a non diluted coat cover these?

Also there doesn't seem to be a uniform coverage, some parts are almost see through and other parts look like I haven't diluted the paint at all its opaque, and there are roller marks everywhere but no matter how many times I go over it they stay there - will this disappear with a normal coat?

how will I know if I have done the coating correctly would there be cracks in the paint by now if I hadn't diluted it enough or applied it wrong?

how many coats of the diluted version should I be applying before the normal coat can go on?

Sorry for all the questions this is all new to me!

Sponsored Links
The marks you are referring to sound like PVA splashes. These will need to be covered with a sealer as the emulsion wont cover it. One mist coat is all that is required then further full coats till its nice and solid.. The Crown emulsion takes a few coats to cover but does dry nice white eventually.
The mist coat may look patchy and not uniform but this is normal. Go the opposite way with the next coats to even it up.
As the Crown works thin anyway don't add any more water to it.

PVA softens in warm water, so you might consider sponging it, then scraping the drips off and rubbing away any traces.

Sponsored Links
Why muck about. A bit of oil undercoat will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back