Misty Double Glazing - Is Repair An Option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three of our conservatory windows have condensation between the panes.

We have had a couple of companies come round to quote for replacements, and both have said that the style of glass is no longer available, despite the
conservatory being build only around 10 years ago.

We have the option to replace the glass with a plain glass style, but the three new windows will not then match the other 8 that are in the conservatory, and replacing them all is outside our budget.

Is repair an option, or failing that, does anyone know where we can get this style, with what looks like a bevel cut into the outer pane?

Thanks,

Ash

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, general consensus is that 'repair' isn't worth it as it is costly and isn't guaranteed to work for the lifetime of the frames.

I replaced two of my panels and they were surprisingly cheap to buy direct but, in fairness, they were bog standard originally anyway - unlike your ones.

One of the experts on here may be able to advise you better than I can as I am not an expert.

B

The company's that come and repair onsite are a bodge and should be avoided.
Normally new units are cheaper but as the glass cant be replicated you need someone who will take the units away (probably have to temporary board the windows for a few days) to a glass factory, Cut down the seals, Clean the glass and remake them into units again.

Try googling for some local glass and glazing places

Thanks all, especially for the advice regarding onsite repairs.

We did ask the companies that came round if they knew anyone that could repair the glass, but both said no. Maybe I need to contact a few more.

A follow on question is why do conservatory windows need to be double glazed? For example, is removing the inner pane and leaving the outer pane in place an option?

Thanks again.

Ash

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I hadn't considered condensation, but as the conservatory has a plastic roof, I do find it is very cold (at this time of year) in the evenings and night, and very warm / hot when the sun is shining, so I'm not sure how much affect the double glazing will have.

Does anyone know if there are double glazing designs that are sympathetic / match the current design? I've seen ones with what looks like lead strips within them, I wonder if you can get clear / silver strips inside the panes that might match?

Ash

that looks like ' Brilliant cut ' glass...it is still available if you know where to look BUT as Gazman says , the cheapest option would be to split the unit and have it resealed. If you know of a s ealed unit manufaturer, you could split the unit apart yourself and take it to them to reseal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back