Mitre angles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is hurting my head.

Wife wants those frame things on the staircase wall I think it’s called Wainscoating. The top and bottom follow the slope of the stairs. So I’ve worked out that two of the angles are 42 degrees and two are 138. But I can’t work out what the mitre angles should be to join them together. For the 42 degrees I though two 21 degree cuts would work but no. Trigonometry was never my strong point. Any help appreciated. Hopefully attached picture shows what I mean - I’m trying to work out the angle of the white joint.

Thanks all.
2FFF4F4E-06BD-473F-8697-AE03C361B021.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It’s ok -sorted - need to subtract 42 from 180 = 138 and divide by 2 = too big for mitre saw!

Set up a false fence for your mitre saw with a 45° angle. That way you'll be able to cut those acute angles

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys. JobAndKnock - yep just been watching a YouTube on that. Eddie - I think so but won’t that mean putting the short side of the wood against the fence so lengthwise it will be sticking out in front of the saw?

Or use a straight edge and a router with a bearing cutter or a guide bush to do the final cuts (with the extra 45 degree fence your mitre saw may not have enough travel to make the full cut)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back