Mitre box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please Can anyone help me with drawings for making a mitre box out of scrap wood so I can cut tall external mitre’s for the skirting I would like to fit.

Sponsored Links
Basically all a mitre box consists of is a base and two sides. The sides can be screwed onto the base with the mitre angles cut as required; ideally gang cut your mitre guide grooves using a power mitre saw to create the grooves before assembling them onto the base (use a hand saw inserted back first into the grooves when assembling to ensure that the grooves remain in alignment) . Basically what you need is similar to the Emir coving box shown below, but instead of the saw cuts running across the box at an angle they would need to be perpendicular to the sides, but at an angle of 45 degrees to the base:
Emir Coving Mitre Box 001_01.jpg

Ideally this needs a fine grained hardwood, such as beech, but for limited use you might well get by with hardwood plywood. Length circa 300mm, width to suit the skirting,depth 70 to 100mm I'd say.

Emmerich-Berlon (Emir) also make a skirting mitre box which could be copied if you have access to a tilt arbor table saw. Their no.28 skirting mitre saw jig comes in 6in and 9in sizes:
Emir 28 Skirting Board Mitre Box 001_01.jpg

Tuflon strip is used for the wear plates (the dark brown bits in the photo), in which case the body could just be MDF

Last edited by a moderator:
How tall is the skirting?

How many cuts do you have to make?

If lots, it might be cheaper to hire a chop saw. It will be far faster than using a handsaw and if the angles are not proper 90 degrees a chopsaw will be better at trimming tiny bits off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying foxhole, opps & JobandKnock Skirting is 9 inch and I have only one room to do so I am trying to avoid a major cash outlay for the small amount of external’s I have to do. The internal’s no problem as I will scribe and coping saw. JobandKnock’s solution looks good but very pricey at £60+.

Do you have a table mounted circular saw?
I've been playing around with mine today, just checking angle accuracy etc and the 45 degree is spot on. Simply lay your board correct way up and slide through.

JobandKnock’s solution looks good but very pricey at £60+.
£60+ ??? The Emir no. 28 is under £25 (follow the link). Ideally used vertically, secured in a bench vice. Anyway, I thought you wanted to make your own, so I was really just offering ideas of items to base a design on

Thanks JobAndKnock I was intending to make one but I liked the Emir you kindly showed on your reply, unfortunately I do not have the table saw required to make it. I checked on amazon and they wanted £60+ which is to much I considered. I could’nt find the link you mentioned in your last reply where I could get it cheaper. At £25 it would be worth me buying.

The link is to L&S Engineers (really good for Makita and garden equipment spares) and is in the "9in" in the last sentence above the Emir 28 picture ("....comes in 6in and 9in sizes:")

Thanks for that link JAndK, at present L&S Engineers are out stock of the item but will get one just as soon as they have them back in stock at that price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back