Mitre Saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am looking for a mitre saw for home DIY projects. Alot seem to get mixed reviews, so any recommendations for decent model to £200 spend? Any makes to avoid? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Do you need a slider? for extra depth of cut?
The rage evolution range are pretty good for the money. Our Lidl's have got a slider in for £80.
Most of the cheapies aren't particularly accurate, but you can get round that by doing test cuts and adjusting as you go. A decent blade makes all the difference.

If you don't already own one, a circular saw would be first on the shopping list before a mitre saw.

have you had a look on ebay?for that amount you have to spend you might pick up a very good machine which you would only dream of on a limited budget.

Sponsored Links
I can recommend the Bosch models - I have a 10" version that is extremely powerful with great repeatable accuracy - I seldom make test cuts any longer as it's always set spot on as I left it last time. The Makitas seem to share some of the performance keys such as a heavy table with chamfered indents stops to remove wiggle and rattle in quick selection of standard angles. It also has a depth stop which you can really use - handy for cutting tenons and lap joints.

Only drawback is the size and weight - it's not very portable, thus I'd likely recomend the 8" version for more versatile use.
Consider also the scope to add a set of legs with extension beams to make it a really useful setup.

You can achieve same with workbenches and stands etc but with all the faffing of cheaper saws and improvised workstations, the more dedicated stands will likely see you assemble cut and pack away again a lot quicker.

I managed to pick the saw alone up for a smidgen over your proposed budget as a used item with a singe decking project under its belt. I think even a used saw of good brand and design, a far wiser purchase than a new one of inferior quality. Even a heavier used item from a pro range tends to have great backup in terms of spares and repacement parts should anything fail during its service - even long after discontinuation. try that with a shed sourced unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back