New Mitre Saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Well my trusty mitre saw finally gave up the ghost after 15 years. I thought it was the brushes, as changed them before, but it was the gearbox which had worn out.

I have a budget of around £200 and needs to be around 216mm, I am down to these;

Scheppach HM216 £180 - Has anyone had any experience of this make in terms of mitre saws? I bought a table saw a few years ago and can’t fault it.

DeWalt DWS773 £199 – I have heard some negative feedback on this model in terms being fiddly to operate and also max cross cut is only 240mm.

Bosch GCM800S £229

Bosch GCM 8 £285 – A little bit out of my range but have seen the Bosch YouTube video and it looks the nuts! I am a heavy DIY-er and also make furniture, is it worth spending £285 on a mitre saw?

Any pointers / experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
i purchased the DWS778 summer 2019 from FFX at £399 , so outside the budget mentioned, but it is similar to the DWS773, although the price of the DWS778 seems to have gone up a lot since then.
But with the Dewalt , I liked the fact that I could have it near a wall, as the sliding mech does not stick out the back , so on the Stand it sits quite close to the wall and i can leave it out a while when doing a job - used it quite a few times now
Also the 250mm blade available from quite a few different suppliers , I was thinking of a table saw with same blade , but as a diyer too much
I also looked at Battery , but again diyer, simple enough to be able to plug in.

my trusty mitre saw finally gave up the ghost
What was the cut size and blade size on your OLD SMS ?

Looks like the Borsch has a trench cut, which the dewalt does not, and i have wanted a couple of times

216m blade - saxton do 216mm blades, saxton blades I'm tending to use these days rather than Freud

SCHEPPACH, i have never come across looking at various tools over the last year or 2

the gcm 8 - has a bigger mitre angle - again something i would have liked, BUT just had to calculate the angles and off set
Both Borsh cuts 70mm - so its just a case of how often you need the additional width - I must say , I have used the 300mm range on mine a few times - BUT the majority has been under that size.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies.

The old one was 304mm width, 65mm height and 216mm blade which was a nice size. I'd like to hit 300mm on the width, albeit you're right, you don't use it that often but so handy to have! The Scheppach is an insane 340mm whereas the GCM8 is 312mm, both are 216mm blades so fit the bill nicely. I know they say buy cheap buy twice but it's a big price difference and a step into the unknown for the Scheppach whereas the GCM8 has great feedback. . .

If your timber is straight you can cut 200mm from one side, flip it over then cut 200 from the other side - or 400mm width in total...

Basic trenching for carpentry cannot done with a circular saw and a speed square, or for a better quality result a router, straight cutter and home made squaring jig

More than one way to skin a cat

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Catlad, you weren't quite right, got the Scheppach and it felt and looked sound. No play whatsoever including slide. But I sent it back on two points, firstly the slide reach is too long, my work bench that houses my old saw throw was 88cms, this is nearer 125cms. But more importantly, the extention tables were 1mm lower than the main deck folded in, so folded out they wouldn't be very good. Shame as their table saw is a fantastic bit of kit and I'd highly recommend.

I did not realise that Hitachi is now Hikoki, I've a SDS rotary hammer that has had a beating and still going strong. Looked at the Hikoki 216mm mitre saw, it's had great reviews at £200 but no soft start. My old one was two speed and on low it was fine but on high used to kick which was a pain.

So in summary just ordered the Bosch GCM 8. If it lasts another 15 years it will be worth the extra!

Thanks again all.

Well I'm sure you will like the Bosch and you'll get a 3yr warranty if you register it online.

Just thought I'd mention, the GCM8 arrived Friday, spent about an hour setting it up yesterday. But we'll worth it, I've used a few mitre saws in my time but this is a step above. Well worth paying the extra. Vac is a pain in the butt, but used a 40mm angle with a tad of duct tape which fits snuggly in the outlet rather than buying the bosch vac. That connects perfectly to my dust extractor, happy days!

We have the GCM8JSL plus the Bosch stand. Got the two together at a massive discount from Amazon a couple of years ago. From memory, the total order should have been about £270. The model they shipped had a two pin european plug. After messages back and forth, they knocked a further 20% off.

My Festool dust extractors connect snugly.

I have the bosch GAS 18v dust extractor/hoover and its one of my most used tools.

Yes it has been a bit short at times! but there are 3 attachments on the side that are about a foot long each. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a longer hose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back