Mitre Saws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I am looking at getting a Mitre Saw for things like cutting timber, skirting etc.

As a DIY'er I'm not bothered about brand but don't want to go cheapest of the cheap.

I'd ideally like a sliding one, but what is meant by 'compound', 'double bevelled' etc?

If I said a budget of £200-250 would that equal something good enough for occasional use?

Sponsored Links
A compound miter saw has a rotating vertical pivot allowing the cutter head & blade to be tilted.
Double bevelled, means the blade can be tipped in two directions. Either left or right

I have an Evolution Rage, about £165 from Screwfix.

No need to spend more really, I normally buy Makita but for the same money I could get the Evo with extra sliding compound feature.

Powerful and well built, perfect for skirtings and door frames etc.

Only bad point is a spring loaded circlip keeps coming off the blade guard.

A compound miter saw has a rotating vertical pivot allowing the cutter head & blade to be tilted.
Double bevelled, means the blade can be tipped in two directions. Either left or right

So I guess if I want to do 45 degree cuts for skirting, door frames etc then i'll need a compound, double bevelled one.

And the 'sliding' in the name I guess means I can push/pull it forwards and back to cut through the width of something?

Sponsored Links

No need to spend more really, I normally buy Makita but for the same money I could get the Evo with extra sliding compound feature.

This is what I'm thinking. I doubt i'll ever be donig things as neat as cornice, but rather things that can be tidied after fixing, i.e. fill, rub and paint joins.

That's not to say I am a 'messy' worker come bodger fixer, and will do it as neatly as I possibly can.

The only time I ever saw one of these in use by trade joiners (110 volt) it lasted only 2 or 3 days before going back to Screwfix, so did the second one, so did the third one. At that point they gave up and bought a Makita MLS100....... That said I've seen quite a few false ceiling fitters using them (Evos) in the last year or so, but then they are only sawing 2 x 1 shadow battens (softwood) and the odd bit of thin steel section. In a limited budget category own choice would be an MLS100 or the heavier duty LS1040 although I have to admit to bias - I own an MLS myself (in addition to two sliders).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back