Mitre Saws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Wonder if any of you could offer me some advice as to which electric mitre saw to purchase.

I have to replace the skirting boards in my living room (and beyond). Having tried to use a hand saw based mitre saw with limited luck I would like to purchase something a little more substantial that will make light work of the job at hand.

Pretty much all the corners are not true right angles and are either less of more then 90 degrees (both internal and external) and I want something that will be able to deal with this. The skirting board is about 150mm in height.

Although the budget is not too important I have no other need for the tool other then cutting my skirting boards therefore it will have limited uses unless I can think of some more :)

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Tank

Sponsored Links
Not good to mitre internal ccorners. These should be cut in. You could probably get someone in to do the job for less than the cost of a saw.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I had certainly thought of hiring one but honestly don't mind in buying one. As I said it may be that I have the need to use one in the future.

I've read up on the process of scrolling (scribbing) boards for internal corners and am quite happy to give it a go.

Any opinions on mitre saws (for the external corners) would be greatlt appreciated.

Tank

Sponsored Links
what's your budget and what are your future projects you think you may tackle :D

The problem with hand mitre saws is that most people only ever experiemce the cheap and nasty B&Q, Wickes, etc "specials" which are sloppy and inaccurate. A good hand mitre saw is available in the form of the Nobex range - however the better ones are £50 to £100 when most people want to pay £15 to £20. So a true case of you get what you pay for. There is an even heavier (and more expensive) version of the trade mitre saw made by a German firm called Ulmia. Both of these brands are quite rightly held in high regard by picture framers, however they can be difficult to find.

If you want to approach the same level of accuracy with a powered mitre saw then the only way to achieve it is to buy a trade-rated mitre saw by a better quality maker such as Makita, Bosch, deWalt, Elektra-Beckum, etc. DIY says are built down to a price and are consequently very inferior products. Better to accept a smaller cut size at a higher quality than a big innacurate cut and short life. So decide how big you want your cut to be and then choose a saw - but b warned, saws like the Makita LS1040 start in at about £150 or so.

Scrit

So pass on the Makita and wait for the Festool later in March. Around £720 I've heard :D

festool all the way. I dont buy anything else. Truly supered tools. My bank balance is in the red tho :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back