Mitsubishi Charisma 1.8 gdi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I wonder if someone can help me. Our mitsubishi started ticking a lot and cuts out when stopping or coming to a junction. I took it to a garage today, as the cam belt needed doing anyway. He told me that it was likely that the chain was possibly needing to be done too as well as some a pully wheel, TOTAL COST £317.00

I have my car back and it is still ticking as it was before and still cutting out as before, and I am wondering if they have bothered to do it at all?

I had asked them to try and sort out the ticking and stalling problem, but they said they didnt have time. They also stated that the ticking had stopped.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be with the car? what might be causing this to stall and how long it might take really for a cambelt change, they have labour hours as 3 1/2 hours. Is this the right amount of time????

Appreciate any information. Thanks

Sponsored Links
a ticking type noise usually comes from a blown gasket,maybe inlet manifold/exhaust,sadly that garage sounds like another typical back street place full of morons

Sponsored Links
Neo,he says it's a gdi =gasoline direct injection.
It's not an engine type I am familiar with Simon,but the3.5 hours quoted is probably reasonable for a cambelt change.A lot of modern motors are difficult to get at with the engine in the frame.Have you actually paid £317 for the job or would that include the pulley and chain you mentioned?
£60 per hour plus parts? Some modern engines have a cambelt driving one camshaft and inside the cambox,on the other end is a chain driving the other camshaft,this could be the chain mentioned.
Anyway,as to the ticking,I am with CH427,you can get a tiny exhaust leak causing a ticking noise but usually it's an inlet leak which causes stalling.So you could have both!It might be wise to visit a proper Mitsubishi garage and get a definate diagnosis and quote,then you can fix it yourself if you feel able.

Back