Mix and match kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I first joined this forum what seems like an age ago for some very helpful advice regarding an extension. Plans are at appeal stage now, but I can't live with my kitchen any longer! We are planning a budget kitchen that may or may not be extended in the nearish future, but it could be over a year, or we might in fact move if planning doesn't end up going our way in the end. :(

What I would like advice on, is we have a very small space [345 x 210cm approx], currently a U-shape with very little floor space. I want to make it L-shaped with a narrow larder unit on one wall. We will keep existing appliances, so are hoping to stay below £1000. The thing is, I like the depth of Ikea wall units, but it would be a real squeeze to fit their base units, I'm worried doors won't open properly in the corner. Would it be silly to use B&Q base units in high gloss white and glass fronted wall units from Ikea? Or, does anyone know if the high gloss white units from both stores would be similar enough to use together? It would also make worktop selection easier, as Ikea is deeper than standard. I would appreciate any advice, thank you in advance. Helen

Sponsored Links
I think I may have put this in the wrong place, sorry, I'll see if I can find the right place now......

Oops, I can't work out how to delete this and I don't want to repeat myself, so I'll leave it be for now.

Or should I just get me coat....... :oops:

I just realised what you did there, Alarm, thank you very muchly. :)

Sponsored Links
I don't think different base and wall units will look too bad, especially if all the wall units are glass fronted. I've been in a fair few new kitchens lately and a number of them now have contrasting colour doors top and bottom - red base and white wall and plum base with cream wall are two I remember that looked pretty good. Seems to be a new trend.

I can't tell you if the B&Q and IKEA units are similar though.

Thank you misterhelpful.

I did a mock up on the ikea kitchen planner and it did seem to look ok. But now I'm in two minds! The glass front cabinets come with glass shelves and I don't know if I fancy the children slamming cups down in them! Making my own combi's was getting a bit pricey. I might actually got back to a similar layout to what we've got and use all B&Q, it's just annoying my dinner plates don't go in the wall cabinets, but I can't see an economical way round it! :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back