Kitchen Help Needed… Stressed Female!

3 Dec 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hoping you can help me.

Basically I suffered some water damage and two base units and 2 wall units were damaged, the insurance are only going to replace on a like for like basis and for that I will get a max of £800.

My kitchen is a few years old and trying to match the units will be difficult. I hadn’t budgeted for a new kitchen so I am having to fit one into my plans.

I plan to do this buy buying an Ikea kitchen, this is because I like their kitchens, they have a good guarantee and I can collect them from the store myself so no waiting in and losing a days holiday for the delivery. The main reason tho is that I have an Ikea card and so I don’t have to have £2000 in my pocket.

I planned my kitchen using their online tool however I have discovered their units sit flush with the wall and so I have a problem with that the water and gas pipes are behind the current units.

Also the gas pipe to my cooker comes out of the wall where I planned to put my fridge freezer and so it can not go back against the wall. Is it possible to get this moved and would this be a big job?

Does anyone know any ways around the Ikea flush units?

I know it’s not ideal but it’s the only option I have at the moment so need to see how I can work around it. I have had 2 people round to quote me just to put the units in using my plan but none have installed Ikea kitchens before….

So if anyone is reading this and they live in Herts and have installed one before let me know!

Surly someone has an Ikea kitchen with good things to say not just bad!?

Appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Ikea stuff is cheap in every sense, so you will need to drop all pipes etc to the area below the cup's [or chase them into wall]unless you get a deeper worktop in which case you can mount them on a timber baton to give the extra depth. Might be cheaper to replace damaged unit with standard carcases and then replace all doors with a matching set.
as foxhole says, why not buy the carcases to replace the damaged ones then replace all the doors/plinths/worktops - will give you a new kitchen but without the hassle of having to rip all the existing units out
Having fitted several kitchens over the years including a couple of Ikea ones they require no greater creativity in fitting than the ones bought from the big high street names.

With Ikea the trick is to run the services either under the floor or at floor level and then pop them up at the appropriate place. Also having a router helps as you can create a service gap in odd cabinet by routing a new grooves for a back panel. Or as a previous post suggested you can fix a batten to the wall and then mount all the cabinets against that but you will probably need 650mm wide work surface as opposed to the standard 620mm to create a pleasing work surface overhang.

As for moving a gas pipe this should not be too much of a problem however any connections to the gas main must be done by a Corgi registered engineer.

I have too agree with the previous posts it would be easier, quicker and cheaper to buy a couple of standard carcases and then buy aftermarket doors and draw fronts which would give your kitchen a new look a a fraction of the cost. There are enough companies on the internet that just specialize in door and draw fronts. Some even do a sample service.
Sponsored Links
Ikea kitchens base cabinets have also non standard height size when compared to the well known high street names. This can cause problems with certain integrated appliances.

The Ikea base cabinets have a height of 700mm whilst the others are 720mm so this normally means that if you have an existing built-under double oven it will not fit in the Ikea unit with out some degree of creativity on the base unit.
As a guide to price I replaced all my kitchen doors [23] for about £375 from B&Q.
The best way to get over your problem would be to buy a deeper worktop and hopefully there would be sufficient depth to set the base units off the wall thereby missing the offending items - I am assuming that someone like B&? would have a deeper worktop or you could try IKEA!

Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links