Mixed floor types within one room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Getting two rooms knocked through into one, and an extension added, to make one large room (kitchen). It's a Victorian house.

The two rooms that are being knocked into one have different floor constructions - the existing dining room has timber floorboards, and the kitchen has a solid slab type floor (overlaid with a very old "marley tiles" style vinyl / lino - stuck down).

My question is - it it normal / acceptable to keep both floor types in a single room (the new large, extended kitchen)? Or will it cause too many problems when laying floor coverings (likely tiles), getting levels to match across the room etc?.

My builder says it's quite normal to mix the floor types in a single room, but it seems worrying to me.

Sponsored Links
"quite normal" for a knock through.

floor levels and ventilation of the suspended floors and how to bridge the possible resulting floor cavity and any indications of damp must, if possible, all be worked out before any work starts.

The old concrete needs a liquid dpm. The floorboards needs 6mm or 9mm plywood.

The new screed should be built to match the highest existing floor.

Sponsored Links
Or will it cause too many problems when laying floor coverings (likely tiles),

There is a significant risk of tiles cracking at the floor joint.

I have sometimes replaced the existing joists or sistered with oversized joists -like 10 x 2. Because otherwise the floor bounce can be annoying on a tiled floor and there is too much differenct in 'feel' walking from a solid to a suspended floor

On the original suspended floor it is best to re cover with 18mm plywood, screwed at close centres.

Ditra mat helps to decouple tiles from substrate and reduces risk of cracking at floor join

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back