Advice on screeds needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to start leveling an uneven floor in prep for stick down LVT.
Floor is a mix of wooden floorboards in one room, a concrete strip between that room and the kitchen (we knocked out a wall) and a screed on top of plastic tiles on top of floorboards in the kitchen. We've had the tiles tested and no asbestos.
I really don't want to take up the tiles/old screed so was considering levelling the worst of the irregularities with a concrete screed, laying 9mm ply then feather screeding the joints.
Two questions: is this likely to end in a poor finish and, if not, what products are best for each of the two screeds?
Sorry for the long post.

Sponsored Links
You need to uplift all the tiles.
Plywood the wood sections with 6mm flooring grade plywood .
How old is the sub floor? Does it have a visqueen Dpm under it

You need to uplift all the tiles.
Plywood the wood sections with 6mm flooring grade plywood .
How old is the sub floor? Does it have a visqueen Dpm under it
Bugger! That not what I wanted to hear.
The house is 1950s and the boards are original. I doubt there's a DPM under the wood.

Or did you mean under the kitchen screed? There isn't one under that

Sponsored Links
Then you will need a liquid Dpm doing.
So my order would be -
Plywood wood areas
Self level with a moisture tolerant company like ardex Na to the level of the plywood
Apply a epoxy Dpm to the screed
Prime & Self level ( smoothing compound ) to the whole area at 5mm

Loads to pick from.
I’d use the same as the screed you buy.
Ardex
Mapei
Fball
Uzin
Bostik
Tilemaster

I'm about ready to start this project.
When I ply the floorboards do I need to leave an expansion gap around the edges?
It's just that, on one wall there's a steel perimeter radiator which doubles up as skirting. It's not connected to the heating system but it would be difficult to trim anything if the bottom of it so I can't get the flooring under it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back