Mixer better than electric?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

At present I have an electric 8.4Kw shower. i'm not happy with the flow rate at all. I am getting a combi boiler fitted to replace the back boiler which heats a hot water tank at present. The combi boiler will be a worcster bosch 28 condenser, I think this is a good one.

The cabling to the shower is 6mm so I don't think I can go much higher with the electric shower rating. Another option I think is to get a mixer shower running of the combi direct with mains cold water feed. Will this actually be better than the electric shower though? I ask this because it means I will have to pull tiles off and run pipes in etc so not a simple task and so only want to do it if it will be better than the present electric unit!

I know the only sure way would be to get a pump fitted but I don't want to have water tanks.

The taps are on the opposite end to where the shower is and so I cannot use the tap/shower units.

The cold water flow rate is approx 18l/min.

So will an unpumped mixer be better then an electric shower? I'm a bit confused because I went to B&Q and looked at the strength ratings, the mixers have different strength ratings rnaging from 6-12, but I thought the strength would be dependant on the water pressure feed to the shower??? How can they have a strength rating when they dont know what the flow rate to the mixer is?

Sorry for the long and propably incomprehensable question?

Sponsored Links
I have a mixer shower off my combi and am very pleased with the flow.

It is about twice the flow of my 8.5 kw shower downstairs. Indeed I never use the electric one these days.

Go for it.

Screwfix do a mixer bar type for around £80, same as mine and I would recommend :D
Have a look at THIS :D

Leave your electric shower where it is for when the combi packs up which it will, sooner or sooner.

That's an 8.5kW shower.

Use the combi and you'll have a 28kW shower. Stick one of these on the bath
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=48700&ts=70538
p2008112_l.jpg

You can get very long shower hoses, or join them.

The "normal" alternative is as you say quite a bit of work, though you can use a surface mounted shower mixer and chrome pipes, also surface mounted, in chrome clips.

Would have to go with Chris R but would suggest thermostatic bath shower mixer. Recently installed one for a friend, managed to get one off Ebay for £80 and it works great. Plenty of these about.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, thanks for your replies people, I appreciate it.

ChrisR, cant really use the tap mixer cuz missus wouldnt want the hose stretching the length of the bath. And I take on board your comments about keeping the electric shower. Will prob do the mixer and tiles of the wall joby, just hope there is enough space in the one brick thick wall to get the pipes in!

Thanks

Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back