Mixer or electric shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is being renovated and I'm in unsure of what kind of shower to choose.

The hot water system will have a condensing combi boiler (I believe an Ideal boiler rated 30 or 32 has been suggested).

In the last house we had a mixer shower but got frustrated by the drop in pressure or temperature if another tap was turned on. This was with an ageing and temperamental Vokera 30 boiler.

We were thinking of getting an electric shower instead - but I have now read that they cannot provide as much pressure as a thermostatic mixer would.

So, for the best balance of pressure, consistent temperature, and hot water flow in another tap at the same time, what should we choose?

Sponsored Links
A mixer shower run from a combi will always be affected by other useage in the property,an electric shower has to heat water as it goes,so will not provide as good a flow rate as the mixer will.
If you get a good quality electric shower,it will still provide showering capability if you should have a problem with the boiler not working,belt and braces if you like.

The only thing to add to Garflields analysis is the installation cost.

A mixer shower fed from the hot and cold pipes will cause less upheaval than an electric shower, which will require cable runs back to the consumer unit, and possibly require an change of the consumer unit that you have. It will certainly require a qualified electrician.

Installing a mixer shower is well within the realms of a diy-er.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Fortunately a shower cable has already been wired in.

I think I will look for a high-power electric shower to try and maximise the pressure. Any comments on Wickes own-brands?

An electric shower might be a worthwhile investment though if the OP has an Ideal boiler...
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Fortunately a shower cable has already been wired in.

I think I will look for a high-power electric shower to try and maximise the pressure. Any comments on Wickes own-brands?
What size cable has been wired in, since this will no doubt limit the wattage acceptability of the shower.

Can't comment on wickes brand. On the whole, as you well know, you get what you pay for in life!

The electric shower will depend on the size of the cable, if its only 6mm/fused at 30amp then you will have to stay at the lower end of the kW range. IMO you get what you pay for, a Mira probably a better investment.

I would also do a search on here regarding Ideal boilers if you havent already had it fitted, they can prove problematic.....

Dextrous has beaten me to it. :LOL:

Maybe you can advise me a shop where I can buy an electric shower?
*I'm from Westerham (near London) :rolleyes:

Go and have a look at an electric shower working to see if you would be happy with the flow rate. Then make up you mind.

Andy

electric showers have a pathetic weedy flow which is especially poor in winter. I have a feeling you have never used one or you would not have asked the question. A combi gives a better shower which is usually quite good.

The only advantage I can think of is that if you have a combi boiler, you can use the electric shower when the boiler breaks down (which it will)

There are some pressure-balancing shower mixers (I got one by Aqualisa which was quite expensive) which are supposed to compensate when someone turns a tap on in the house, but the flow drop is sadly inevitable if you have not got a water tank in your house, and will happen whether you use a combi or an electric.

In my own house I have gravity mixer showers, fed from a cylinder which is heated by the gas boiler, and by an immersion heater if the boiler ever goes wrong. Some plumbers consider this rather old-fashioned. However it is a very dependable method.

Jake1886...yes!

JohnD...Thanks for such a detailed answer!!! But I decided to buy an electric shower. Now I doubt between Stanza 8.5 White Electric Shower and 8.5 se Electric Shower. I can buy them in Gainsborough Showers shop in Westerham. Can you help me to choose one of them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back