Mixer problem on shower - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, my shower refuses to heat up so I've been stuck with lukewarm to cold showers for a few months now. I'm finally anoyed enough to do something about it so need your help!!

The shower is largely hidden from view with only the mixer tap and shower head protruding from the wall. However turning the hot-cold tap makes absolutely no difference to the temperature. All the other hot water taps in the house work fine.

The only way I've found to get a partially hot shower is by turning the cold tap on in the sink while the shower is on full. This seems to divert cold water and allow sufficient hot water through the shower.

Can anyone please advise on probable causes of this problem and how to fix (without calling a plumber!).

Many many thanks

Sponsored Links
Really need some more info.
What type of hot water system do you have
Are you getting hot water at other outlets
Is the shower valve a manual mixer or thermostatic
P

Hi Fluffstter,

I believe its a concealed thermostatic shower valve - similar to that in the attached link, though from a different company http://www.taps4less.com/PP/U-A3091C.html.

The heating / hot water system has a condensing bolier system (i.e. hot water on demand) and was installed 6 months ago.

All other hot water taps in the house work fine. As I said below, when I turn on both the shower and the cold water tap in thhe sink this reduces the ammount of cold water coming though the shower so I can at least have a lukewarm shower.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

The link did not work.
You may need to replace the thermostatic cartidge.
They cost from £80 upwards and apart from renewing the o ring seals fairly straight forward.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Yeah the shower worked brilliantly for a few months, then part of the handle sheared off during use and its been tempremental since then - i.e. it would work fine one day then be lukewarm the next.

I've managed to find a link to the actual shower, its a Bristan Recessed Thermostatic Shower Mixer: http://www.homesupply.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=NSHCFHC

From what you lads have said it sounds like I need to get a replacement cartridge. Is this easy to replace or would I need a plumber?

Thanks lots

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back