Mixer shower leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4ECA248C-443C-4BC3-B6B6-2C87F6E9D8C6.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hi all. This is leaking from behind the ‘tap’ shown above. It leaks in front and behind the plate. The tap will not pull in front of the brass fitting so I am guessing the tap was added before the brass part. Is there any way to get the brass spindle off so I can see if anything can be tightened behind? Thank you!

1. I suspect the hexagonal brass part is an adaptor. It will have internal splines to match the external splines on the tap spindle, and its external hexagon presumably matches a similar internal hexagon in the removed handle.
2. If this is correct, then I would expect the adaptor to just pull off the central spindle. I would:
2.1. Inspect the outside of the brass hexagon for a grub screw, and remove if found. Highly unlikely to be a grub screw.
2.2 While protecting the chrome (old bit of leather, wood?) use two flat bladed screwdrivers to lever the adaptor off the spindle.
3. I would expect the inner chromed handle to then slide off.
4. To get at the cartridge, you might well also have to remove the outer chrome trim plate. This might have been siliconed to the wall, in which case you need a thin, sharp, knife (e.g. old bread knife) to cut through the silicone sealant.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back