Mixer Shower Stops Running after 1 shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Mira Excel thermostatic mixer shower.
Recently towards the end of the first shower of the day the shower stops running.
After a short while it will run again. I checked the hose etc and all is fine. I then called Mira who said it may be due to partially blocked filters. However upon checking the header tank I noticed that it appears to be filling very slowly. Could the water fill rate affect the shower if the tank runs dry??? I must add that I have just had my water supply pipe from the mains to the house replaced with the new plastic type due to an external leak. Water pressure at the kitchen and bathroom taps is fine.
Is it possible for the outlet of the cold tank to the mixer to be faster than it can be replenished? :(
Could the slow fill be due to a faulty ballcock

Sponsored Links
Guess that there is some debris in the float valve following pipe change..a little stone?

Thanks for the replies. Having checked the header tank after the first shower today I can confirm the header is not running dry. So the shower problem must be due to something else. I think I will take the mixer apart and clean the filters. As for the slow filling header I will check out the valve at the weekend too. The swarf seems feezible to me.

Should I get mains pressure out of the ballcock valve i.e. the same as from my cold tap???

One other point would the temp differential between hot and cold cause the mixer to shut off, say if the t/stat could not output the water temp it was set for??? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I don't know if this is relevant but the time it takes for the first shower would be just the amount of time needed for the body/valves of the shower to heat up. Could it be an expansion problem?

joe

can you explain what a expansion problem is exactly?
Since it's a figment of his imagination, only joe-90 can explain it (if indeed he can - I think the 90 is his IQ).

By the way, do you have a shower pump connected to the shower?

Hi , no pump fitted. Problem has not happened since so it's very intermitant :(

rickw said:
Thanks.. But can you explain what a expansion problem is exacly?

When things get hot - they expand. Then you can get problems.

Think about it.

joe

chrishutt said:
can you explain what a expansion problem is exactly?
Since it's a figment of his imagination, only joe-90 can explain it (if indeed he can - I think the 90 is his IQ).

By the way, do you have a shower pump connected to the shower?

You explain what's wrong then. I got the Penster problem right - you didn't.

joe

joe-90 said:
What's wrong is your preception of reality. The one where you're right and everyone else is wrong - that's f-a-n-t-a-s-y joe.

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
What's wrong is your preception of reality. The one where you're right and everyone else is wrong - that's f-a-n-t-a-s-y joe.

You didn't get the Penster problem right. I did.

joe

Hi all just an update on my problem... err! it still hapens occationally. I am now wondering if it is just running short of hot water to get the desired temp so is shutting off. I say this as it seems to happed after the shower has been used for a long period. "wife shaving legs !!" or after three consecutive showers when the kids are visiting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back