mixer shower temperature problem - going hot/cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Potterton Performa 28 combi boiler and a gainsborough mixer shower.
The problem I have is the water temperature changes from hot to cold then back to hot.
I had the same problem with a gainsborough thermostatic shower and changed it because I was told the problem was with the shower not the boiler.
We have a service contract with British Gas and it was one of their plumbers who told me to do this after he had checked the boiler.
The boiler is apparently running as it should so no problem there but how do I get over the temperature problem - do I need to fit a pressure reducing valve on the cold water supply to the shower?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Brian

Sponsored Links
Does the problem occur when there are other demands on this cold supply IE toilet re filling, kitchen tap turned on, washing machine on etc ?.

Do you know the hardness of the water in your area.

Hi,
There is no difference if another tap is run or the toilet is flushed.
The water is quite hard here, does that make a difference?
Thanks for the replies
Brian

Sponsored Links
Actually I meant: all taps closed apart from only hot bath tap; when you hold your hand in the flow, does it stay even or does it go up and down too?

Hi,
Just tried it with only the bath hot tap running and the shower stays cold, it doesnt fluctuate.
Thanks
Brian

Brian,

thermostatic shower units are normally made using two different materials, one revolves inside the other. As limescale damage increases with water temp it is possible that some of the working parts (on the hot side) are becoming scaled up & preventing smooth movement. This will effect the operation. How old is the unit. ?

Hi,
I dont have a thermostatic shower, I changed it on the weekend after the gas board plumber told me it would be faulty.
I changed it for a normal mixer shower thinking if there was no thermostat the boiler would control th ewater temperature.
Incidentally I have tried it this morning with the cold tap running in the basin to see if that would lower the cold water pressure but it didt make any difference as the shower still went hot and cold.
Thanks
Brian

briwall1,

You not quite understanding what they are asking.

Turn the shower OFF, run JST the BAT hot tap. Does the water from the BATH HOT fluctuate in temp.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back