Mixer tap and waste - not enough thread for trap...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted my Ideal Standard mixer tap/waste and was greeted with a rush of water down my neck!

It appears that there are about four turns of thread on the bottom of the waste (~10mm), but the trap has about 6 turns (~14mm), so the pipe does not pull up and seal.... :rolleyes:

Now I assume that all traps will have the same ends on, so would I be correct that the mixer tap/waste is faulty?

I have asked a toolmaker friend to make up a 6mm split spacer, which should do the trick, either that or slice a bit off the trap connector.

Am I missing something here? As everything I touch seems to be wrong!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark

Sponsored Links
is this a kitchen sink or bathroom basin ?
have you a pic ?
i think you must be missing something.

Sponsored Links
pop up waste.
you'll need the trap as i have shown have a shallower nut.

yes you can make it go down the chrome pipe at the outlet is designed to be cut.
then fit a elbow going down to join existing waste

its not faulty , just cut the nut down on your existing waste , job done .

that's a bodge even for me....that was my second option. A nice spacer was the first

i would of said it will leak with the spacer as the ring seal on them wastes are only a rubber o ring

It's interesting as the ideal standard mixers (and waste) are different to the waste shown above i.e. the plug bit screws into the waste bit, but this is a housing in itself, which has some cut thread at the bottom. It is not like the waste in the picture which is a constant thread all the way through i.e. the captive nut and the trap use the same thread.... if you get my drift

It is the correct tap and waste for the basin as it come as a package from IS. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back