Mixer tap conundrum

Sorry Roger but I'd have had that sorted with mait in one go.... Are you sure you haven't over tightened the backnut and split it? There are many things you can't learn from a book/YouTube video/forum.
It's a touchy-feely-tool-is-an-extension-of-your-arm/wrist/fingers-thing :)

Sponsored Links
Sorry Roger but I'd have had that sorted with mait in one go.... Are you sure you haven't over tightened the backnut and split it? There are many things you can't learn from a book/YouTube video/forum.
It's a touchy-feely-tool-is-an-extension-of-your-arm/wrist/fingers-thing :)

I know mate – I’m very old, with a lifetime’s experience of tightening things, breaking them, and learning how to feel when they’re about right. I’ve never had a problem like this before :confused:

Anyway, couple of days later, I seem to have discovered the principle of matter transport – how to move things through solid barriers. Maybe I’ll get incredibly rich. Having tightened the plastic collar up a fair bit, it held for about a day, then started dribbling again, from somewhere between the collar and the basin.

Just taken it all off again to dry out, remove the putty, and will glue it all together with silicone this time. Unless I’m missing something really obvious, there seems to have been a solid layer of Mait all the way round (obviously it’s been pulled around a bit by removing the waste), so I’m completely lost as to how the water gets through.

PS I did do the obvious before putting it together last time – checked for chipped enamel round the hole, cracks, defective plastic collar etc.

- Confused of N Ireland

Sponsored Links
Forgot to include pics of last time. Have taken it all apart again - every surface is smooth and clean; plastic collar isn't split etc; it's a mystery. Especially why it always takes a few days befoe it starts leaking.

Anyway, here's how the Mait looked when I took it off this time.

All cleaned and dried again since then, and about to put it all back together, with silicone everywhere.

One thing I can't be accused of is giving up easily :mad:

20191012_093318.jpg
20191012_093329.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back